Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2021

Sweet 16 on a Bitter Day

I was excited to capture Sally's sweet sixteen birthday celebrations.  Despite COVID we made it special.  Her idea- we went to the movies!  Wonder Woman 1984- a new movie, the sequel to a GREAT movie...a movie theater with a small, covid careful group- it was a lovely celebration.  Important messages in this movie- the truth is everything.  Girl/Woman power- woo hoo and be careful what you wish for....wishing has a price.  Pretty good themes for 16-year-old young women, all of us really at the start of new years.

On her actual birthday, we followed our protocol. Sally had a type of snow day- it was an asynchronous school day as teachers prepped classrooms for the new semester. Friends and family reached out and even delivered lunch with a special lunch dessert. Regular readers know- we have birthday dinners in the dining room and ice cream cakes are a new norm.  Sally was offered take-out but she opted for spaghetti and meatballs by Mom.  Sweet sally- I obliged, not my best but good enough.  She wanted an ice cream cake, Graeter's Cookies & Cream. So simple- make an oreo crust, freeze it, soften ice cream and unite it all in the springform pan.  And it is pretty good!?!  We set a festive table and sang to our girl, she opened cards and gifts. She made a wish. - it was a good day on Newark-Granville Road. 

Except in the background, our Nation's Capitol building was attached, by Americans?!? Insurgents. The President and his family invoked, encouraged this. This is criminal. I've been in the Capitol, I've followed the rules for the permissions to enter, I just can't believe the Capitol's security allowed it to happen.  It is so wrong on so many levels. So much more to say. So much more to understand.  For now here are important words from David Brooks: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/opinion/capitol-riot-republicans.html capturing some of the bitter parts of life as the backdrop on Newark-Granville Road on January 6, 2021.

I pushed this aside on January 6th to focus on my girl, our girl- she deserved a special day. Sally is smart, sassy, sweet, caring, emotional, hardworking, beautiful, and all teenage girl. Her 16th birthday fun was extended, as the next day we left the house at 7 am so she could claim her freedom as a driver.  As this right of passage approached it hit me hard that it was an end of an era for me and for Joe.  We would no longer need to pick up and transport, coordinate who goes, where, when, how. We'll still need to think through cars as we share and match appropriate cars for a certain use- easier in covid times.  I told Sally- please play your music in the kitchen now, I'll miss knowing your music from drive time. I'll miss my Sally time.  I will be seeking out opportunities to go places together.  However this is why and how we raise our children- to be independent, confident, and careful adults, and driving provides important lessons in the journey to adulthood.  I'm proud of her, happy for her...and for us.

I wish I could say the same for us as a country. Today as I type I have refound the energy to be hopeful. I am praying this will be a time to unite, come closer together as we've been so far apart in 2020 and for so long. Life on Newark-Granville road has felt the deep gray days of the week.  The birthday candles have provided light and Brooks reminds us- there are leaders ready to lead. They need our support, our input, and our voices.  So much is hard right now. And that is where we grow as MLK said:

  • “We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.  Thank you Dr. King- thank you.  This seems to be the lesson we keep being taught in our lives on Newark-Granville Road.
It is official- Sally is a driver!

sally- 16th birthday- so much to wish for
Sally's special birthday!


No comments: