Search This Blog

Saturday, November 18, 2017

I like mine the old fashioned way....

or I should say, like to roast mine the old fashioned way. Life on Newark-Granville Road is roasting turkey! Yes roast, not fry or smoke, know me and know I'm kind of a classic, old school girl.  I admire and have enjoyed turkey prepared other ways...okay only once and it was an infrared prepared turkey.  It was moist and delicious.  It just isn't the way I want to prepare my turkey.   Although when I think about it the original turkey prep was probably over a spit! Hmmmmm......

We're hosting Leithauser Thanksgiving and I am loving spending time in my kitchen, getting ready to have the family together.  Sally helped me set the table last night and Clare made cookies for her contribution/favorite thing.  I'm grateful Joe hasn't expressed interest in taking on turkey component of the meal.  He is a great cook with some quite the repertoire- omelettes, insta-pot dinners and jambalaya from the Orioles cookbook. It is such a help to have a partner in the kitchen.  I just don't want his help on Thanksgiving.  Old school- I'll let him carve, not because I can't or he is a man, but because I have other things to do- like get the oysters in the oven and coach Sally on the potatoes at that time.

I love hearing about what others serve for their Thanksgiving meal.  I love sharing our traditions- sauerkraut, scalloped oysters are things that seem a bit different than others.  And I love to eat the full meal- I love everything that makes a Thanksgiving meal.  The menu this year on NG Road will include items that will hopefully please all in attendance.  I'm going a bit out of my usual m.o. to offer the buffet style T-giving.  We'll have two greens this year, not just the peas.  Clare fell in love with green bean casserole so green bean casserole will appear this year.  Peter (and I) love the peas- they stay.  We have a vegetarian at the table, adding roasted squash this year.  This is a nod to a Tgiving from years and years ago at a Great Aunt's house- I remember the never ending offerings that included things beyond my mother's usual. The introduction to cream corn was something I won't forget.    Of course the best part of the turkey day meal- the sandwich.  Hmmmmm homemade turkey noodle soup is right up there and the oyster stew.....something I forget about until I buy the oysters and always go for the quart not pint!

I enjoyed incorporating the Thanksgiving Farmers Market as part of my prep!  I was there at 8:30 am so I could get home to Mr. Turkey!  I made yoga this morning since no Turkey Trot. Two of the three are hope and helping with the last minute prep for company.  Clare's scrimmage is over and she'll join us soon.  There is much to be appreciate in the Leithauser family, in particular the Leithauser family. Life on Newark-Granville Road, old fashioned, happy and ready to give thanks.  Looking forward to a full week of Thanks-Giving, being in a place of gratitude and savoring family time.

No comments: