Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2023

Clare and her DIII Athlete Career

A milestone in our lives on Newark-Granville Road.  Clare's DIII Athletic Career has come to an end. Field Hockey for 3, Lacrosse for 4.  Thank you, College of Wooster.  Thank you, parents, fans, fellow players, and coaches now and along the way.

The last game, it hit me while sitting in the stands on April 22.  That was one of the many days this year I wanted to be in two places at once- make that three it was also Delt parent weekend at Wabash- sigh.  I went because I love to go and could still hightail it back to Gville to share the fun of Prom pictures with Sally.  That day, April 22 I made plans to get to Wooster for the OWU game on April 26th. That Saturday and for a few days I was just sad, I was feeling the loss.  I know it is her game, her sport, her experience.  I've loved the role I've played. I've enjoyed every opportunity to see her in her place, doing her thing.  

Wednesday games- weekday games- my personal little escape- a drive north, one and a half hours. It was a tough one to watch as they lost, but Clare has played so so well this year. She is tough, a force, energetic, and a leader on the field.  Being with dear Hannah- our Wooster child/Clare's dear pal - and the fabulous friends and teammates, listening to Lucy (Clare, Brown Hair) the other parents helped ease the transition as we have amazing memories.  Knowing we will see some with FH when Sally plays against Wooster. Experience tells me paths do cross and holiday cards and social media are important links. The body knows how to handle these transitions. This one snuck up on me.

Joe and I could not be more proud. Her coaches and DU AD could not be more proud, her family is proud.  Thank goodness for streaming and live updates we can watch when not there and we love her tales of bus rides and thoughts from the games.  We've enjoyed the tailgates, and the opportunity to treat to a snack (cookies and milk against DU this year). We've seen them grow and respond to the ups and downs- the agony of defeat and the thrill of victory- and all the in-between. We're grateful and pleased it all worked out the way it did!

We're in the midst of the season of transitions and have been caught up in the senior stuff (and work and school and volunteerism) to feel the feelings, but I did in April.  Clare is ready for what is next. We watched the last game while doing our things.  They gave us a good goodbye with an OT win. Fighting Scotts are special- the bagpipes, the plaid, the scholar athletes and so much more....Our number 15 set a goal and went after it, exceed it in my mind.  She learned so much about herself and the world. Sports teams are important teachers, I'm glad you were the student you were Clare and I'm glad you shared it with us.







No comments: