Search This Blog

Thursday, May 4, 2023

School's Out..not for summer, but the end is in sight!

 Submit, Confetti fills the screen.....ahhhhhhh- yesterday I experienced two screen time celebrations- the research paper and multimedia presentation.  There was more, optional, but I wanted to view my classmate's presentations on their research and respond to the question component of the assignment. It has been a staple of this class- modules with discussion and honestly where the most learning has occurred.

The last class, no I'm not done yet, but so close! In August I'll complete the requirements for my Masters of Philanthropic Studies, through IUPUI/Indian Univ/Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.  I have a summer project/internship! 

This class was the Religion and Philanthropy Class. It was excellent but not perfect.

Life Lessons from Pursuing my Masters:  

#1 Get comfortable with good enough, value those that accept good enough but encourage growth in the right ways. I have that in every aspect of my life and I'm very lucky.

#2 There is always more to do, to read, to explore, to say but you can't.  Figure out what you can do, read the assignment, and what really interests you.

#3. Making time to dig in and go deep is worth it.....I've found great satisfaction in my all-day study/writing sessions. I'm grateful for my office on Burg Street. No, I don't work all the time, I'm often doing school work when you see that light on!

People ask why I've done this and I've addressed that in other blogs, the impact is a greater understanding of a subject that is a life's calling- philanthropy. More to say for another day, I like learning and the environment and people it connects me to- even online- events at a big university. Walking the school life with my kids, the DU students- is nice too- that feeling of submit, the feeling that a deadline is approaching, the need to schedule an office hour with the professor, the fear of the grades...so so many lessons.

So much more to say, but I'll just end with the encouragement to learn more about Julius Rosenwald:

Don't know who he is- read about him, ask me about him and help me spread the word about him:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-rosenwald-schools-shaped-legacy-generation-black-leaders-180977340/   I learned about him and have posted about him thanks to my History of Philanthropy Class. I took that spark and applied it to this class to understand the impact of his religon, his Jewishness on his philanthropy.  The focus of the clas was the intersection of philanthropy and religon and WOW!

https://www.philanthropyroundtable.org/hall-of-fame/julius-rosenwald/

I highly recommend: https://www.youneedaschoolhouse.com/  I've recommended this book before!

https://www.rosenwaldpark.org/  I anticipate going in pursuit of some of these markers and schools- some in MD/VA!

Life on Newark-Granville Road- too full right now- and that is a lesson as well, but I'm doing my best and grateful for all the help and support that keeps me moving forward!

 

No comments: