Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2020

Both Sides of the Coin in the Land of COVID-19

I woke up this morning, knowing I needed exercise. I embraced a sunrise walk.  I had time, it was dark and 7:40 am was actual sunrise.  By the time I got out the door it felt light, had I missed the sunrise?  I headed one direction then another following the light.  And then I was rewarded- the pink, the coral, the glow of sunrise- I saw it!  Then it was gone instantly. The dull gray overcast sky took over.  The good news I was into the walk and happy to keep moving, keep climbing, keep exploring.  On the walk I didn't see much of a sunrise but I did see a duck on a pond- makeshift pond. I just love the quack quack quack of a duck and watching them swim.  This made me think of walking at the OSU/ COTC campus with friends. Happy memories.  I had to ford a little stream, splash in a puddle. This brought back the memory of my first date with Joe at the Memorial Tournament in the rain. Know me well and know I love to wear rain boots and find a puddle.  I even found the pot of gold.  Yes, if you look you will find it too. I'm not going to reveal where it is- just know if you went for a walk to find the sunrise this morning a certain route will lead to the gold!

Exercise was just what I needed.  The day included work- figuring out remote access and participating in a meeting via google hangout- success!  Work will be interesting with five of us "working/studying" in our home but we're off to a good start.  It is the being "live" on with people talking, coming and going, dogs barking. It is real and in some ways a treat to share this with colleagues, see into their home work space.  I need to rethink where I will sit. The Rob Roy supplies were part of my background- oops.  We did make progress in the kitchen so we can create a quiet space in the dining room again- woo hoo!  Know me well and a pet peeve is the TV on just because.  That said I did enjoy some morning TV- coffee, talk show a talk with my Mom- nice morning. The bonus of staying home morning.    So the days was going pretty good and I wanted to keep it going so we went to vote! I took the oldest two kids with me to vote- happiness is...voting with your kids.   Yes 17 year olds vote when they will be 18 in the general election!

Then I went to Denison to pick up my office supplies to work remotely.  Then I saw the quiet, gray campus. The football field with no players and practice. The Eisner Center and know that it is dark.  I was teary driving down the hill.  Then I talked with Clare who continues to be so sad not to be at school or as she says- to be home. ouch.  Then I went to work on my work and it is hard, it is unknown. I'm being asked to plan and planning isn't easy.  There is much to do and I'm distracted.  I think about the groups I serve- church, the Chamber of Commerce.  Denison families are worried about our sweet town and I am too.  Our dear county- all the small business owners and all those involved in this disruption.  It is hard!

Our routines are important. 5 pm used to be the witching hour when the kids were young- now they come out of the rooms and engage.  Making dinner together is a treat. We had our international host daughter from India over tonight- we tried to forget about a pandemic.  Dinner and a movie, with a little Whit's.  The good, the I thought there would be more nights like these....then the real, the hardship, the reminder of employees and change and reaction to the evolving landscape that is updated daily for COVID-19.

Thanks for those checking in. Thanks for reading and getting it. Karen's sermon from Sunday is really good.  Asking for help is key. Being real about all of this is important. Grateful for the home I have, the friends and family and my health in my life on Newark-Granville Road.  Underneath is the good, the positive and the understanding we will prevail but it isn't easy.

No comments: