Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Finding Strength, seeking understanding

I dressed with intention this morning. Being a Friday I could wear jeans.  I have to say, dealing with coronavirus feels like casual dress work worthy!  When we wear jeans to work, we wear it with spirit wear and it felt good to support Denison in this way.  I selected my jewerly starting with my lucky horseshoe, but that didn't quite work so I switched.  I pulled on the silver camp Alleghany lantern to represent: honor, loyalty, and friendship to fuel the day. I wear it with my Caneel Bay charm that represents love, friendship, beauty and escape- memories.  My Sally ring was also intentional - a rolling ring representing the family of five we are and the figure eight connectivity. All of this with me to move forward with the day.

So why did I need this today?  For history and future readers, this Coronnavirus is turning us all upside down.  This drastic change in plans and pace is hard and sad.  Being on a college campus in a role to support families navigating the direction we are taking asking students to leave our residential campus is not easy. Being with the disrupted students with such little confidence in the true duration is almost too much to bear.  To get a sense of pulse and do what I could I hosted a small group of pi phi seniors for brunch. What a gift their time with me was.  What a delight to sit at the table, get to know one another and plan for the future. Share with them the Denison network that will carry these days with more weight and need than ever before.  Their gratitude was touching.  

My day also included picking Clare up at Wooster.  Her athlete status had delayed the decision and understanding of her departure. She was back in Ohio after their spring break trip to Pennsylvania. Of course, I love time with her but not in this way, this goes against the order. We prepared her, we sent her and she is so happy there. We are happy having her there.  ANd we love having her home.  We won't know for how long.  Reassessment at the end of March. I also loved the drive but I really didn't want to do it today.

I'm fascinated and frustrated by the process and understanding of where we are and the actions being taken. We're all dealing with so much unknown on so many levels.  We all apply our own logice and norms. We all have our own whys. We are all dealing with more than disappointment, it is grief and loss- some more than others and at various degrees. Seniors vs first years, working parents that are essential staff and those with flexibility and ease of remote access and now kids not at school. And when you say ease- working from home isn't for everyone.  Clare and I talked about this in regard to studying. She does not study in her dorm room and really isn't excited to study at the house.  Remote learning is a new concept for many (I'm saying that with my graduate class in midterm week?!?!!!).  Peter chimed in with the productivity he has found by finding quiet space in Granville beyond 1142 Newark-Granville Road!   The comprehension is so entwined with logic and emotion at odds- at least for those living lives on Newark-Granville Road.

We want to do slow the spread of the virus down, we want to be keep our neighbors safe. In our collective lives we're all processing at our own pace in our own ways. It is not easy. We will be outside as much as possible.  We will do our best to keep the safe distance but it goes against every natural response I have.   It is the AND- how do we do this AND support our small businesses. HOW does the economy keep going and rebound. It is a big old reset- I get it. I can embrace it. Once my midterm is submitted it will be easier. Once we really say farewell to the students, oh wait there are students unable to leave to support too- our own Sanaya is here.  If we can't gather in groups of over 50, can we gather in smaller groups- the answers seem to be no. Sigh.  If we don't do well staying home, why can't we go on a vacation where we do well being our group of five.  No answers tonight. I'm trying to sit loosely. I'm seeing the silver linings and being in the moment.  The Denison women's lacrosse game was a happy happy (bittersweet for sure) but those women and coaches were happy to be on that field tonight and it showed.  It was not the plan but they embraced it.  We were outside, we washed hands.

As dear old aunt lyn says....to be continued and that is the name of the game in our life on Newark-Granville Road while finding strength, inspiration and maybe understranding?!


No comments: