Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Number One Rule of Your Sport- Listen to the Coach....Lesson for Parents Today!

Hearing your child share the experience through their eyes is priceless.  Adults explain the game through a misguided lens.  Sure, it is important the kids improve and learn “adult” lessons from time to time.  But, it is beautiful to listen to the child's account of the game.  Mike Deegan

From    http://www.coachmikedeegan.com/parental-guilt-how-to-deal-with-the-guilt-of-missing-events/

Denison's Baseball Coach, Mike Deegan is generous with his wisdom and I value the time I take to read his posts.  As soon as I saw the topic in my in-box I knew I'd read it.  Mandi- you were right- this is a really good one!  

This topic is something we discuss in our life on Newark-Granville Road.  We often say to our kids and fellow team parents- we have three kids and two of us, we can't be at every game.  And Mike is right- we have jobs and activities and need time to just be us.  

The italicized point shared at the top is exactly right! When our children tell us about their days, games, responsibilities it is an incredible gift. A gift I'm loving this summer as I receive communications from Greenbrier County West Virginia and Hagerstown, MD.  I also love to hear the grandparents recount their experiences and time with my children, their grandchildren. I figured that out in 2000 when my father shared the darling coos and facial expressions of his five-month-old granddaughter to me. I had called from a pay phone on the way up the mountains to Whisler- worried we wouldn't have much opportunity to talk while skiing.  Another lesson, I can be "that" parent- at a bike race. I scared Joe.  We talked about it.  When I did it again at a swim meet, I quickly volunteered and found a role to move beyond the overly enthusiastic, loud cheering section mother.

Don't get me wrong- I love to watch my kids games and if I could I might find a role at Camp Alleghany. However, I'm doing my best to allow it to be their experience and program and not mine. Thanks, Mike for sharing your feelings and insights.

No comments: