Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Derby 2019- Midweek Status

 The Wednesday before Derby and here is the behind the scenes scoop!  Easter decor out and Derby in- that was step one.  Every other evening I go on a hunt for what we have in the house that is needed.  This is to have it at the ready when it is time to execute true decoration time.  I've also been procuring new supplies like the Wooster banner and flag- look closely and you will see it!  Clare was so pleased! Roses in the house- although may be a bit early....I keep thinking it is Thursday, not Wednesday.  As I type the Maryland Country Ham is in the oven.  Rolls have been ordered, Friday it gets sliced.

New this year is the graduation component which is adding fun.  If I think too much about it though I added stress. Clare is good at thinking and asking for what she wants.  Will be interesting to see how many pictures make it into the Clare shrine.  Look for this in the kitchen.  Roses party regular- you'll want to look for the cookies outside, or weather impact may move them to the sun porch- we'll see.

I appreciate the folks that ask how they can help- thank you.  It is a process, often it is errand running.  Or sometimes it is helping out when plans go funky- the year we lost the pony rides and I wanted a horse- wagon rides thanks to a friend.   There are traditions in the set-up: breakfast with Joe, the fun of picking up the key.  History lesson- Yuengling use to come from MD- I'd take 3 kids to my parents, leave them there, come home with kegs. Yes, a two keg party.  My parents would return with the kids on the weekend, giving Joe and me a whole week to prepare, do projects and use the excuse to be without kids.

Weather- I wasn't going to look as it doesn't matter.  Those that have been looking have given a variety of reports and report it has changed every day.  I just looked and wish I hadn't. Oh well- it is what it is, we go on rain or shine. I already plan to wear my rainboots.  Let's just hope we don't get snow this year- the flurries one year were a blah....but didn't stop the party!

Everything is better with the help of Emily our amazing bartender friend. She takes a big load off and I'm much less stressed with her partnership/friendship. Plus she really does make incredible juleps and other treats. This year- themed mocktail to honor our grad Clare!

I love this party- the prep, planning, traditions, assistance, partnership and all it represents.  I love hearing who is coming and am excited to see who shows-ups. I still think no one will come, that is because the regrets are top of mind. We are sorry to hear folks can't share this special day. The party is all about the people. The friends, coaches, neighbors, fellow committee members we want to thank. We're grateful to live and share our lives on Newark-Granville road with you and our Run for the Roses party attendees!  Now back to work....

No comments: