Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Getting By with a little help from my Friends- Thank you Gary Heikes

1st Draft......I've been a little sad lately.  A dear friend from my past died.  I found out on Facebook.  I do not think I'd know if it had not been on Facebook if I had not received the messenger message. I'm grateful Gary and I connected over the years over Facebook.  Gary Heikes was the friend that gave me a whole lot more than a little bit of help.  Gary was a work partner, direct report of mine when I moved to Omaha, Nebraska knowing nothing about how to manage a warehouse in the auto part business. And in Omaha it was way more than auto parts- we helped farmers with implements and engines, industrial companies with manufacturing equipment and I learned distribution and efficiency.  This is where my love of the MBTI happened as we merged facilities and utilized formalized teamwork. Gary was the natural leader who managed up, over and down with a smile and a kind let’s get it down attitude.  When I accepted the first resignation on small 3.5 fte team it was Gary who said- no one is irreplaceable, this is a great opportunity.  I could not have done what I did that launched my ten year successful career at Federal-Mogul without him.  I loved living and working in Omaha because of Gary, Stan and Joe and I'm grateful to be reliving those memories this week as we remember and honor Gary's memory.  Gary continued to be a partner and colleague those ten years I was with Federal-Mogul.  His life made a huge difference, he impacted, inspired, supported and accepted me and so many others.  He went through life with deep love- his relationships with his wife, parents, kids was based on love and he told us, he shared that.  What a gift it was to work with Gary Heikes- rest in peace Gary and heaven is happy you are there.  https://www.cullenfuneralhome.com/obituary/gary-heikes

So this week more than ever I'm grateful for the friend that had me for tea and introduced me to a new tea- do you know about Mark Wendell's Hu-KWA tea? It is smoked so it tastes smoky.  It makes me think of scotch.  My palate never liked smoky things but that is changing. My tastes are evolving and shifting as I age.  This is a good thing.   This week I'm grateful for the volunteer that sent me a beautiful thank you and when I called to say so - she said- I just wanted to thank you for the little things you do, for being there and to thank you on behalf of those that do not.  WOW.  WOW. WOW. Boy, do I love to learn from those I serve and this will stay with me and I will do a better job of thanking those that serve me in non-profit volunteer ways. 

So this week I'm grateful for the friend that rounded up a group of women for a Girls Night out to see a play. I did not have to make any of the plans. I'm invited and I'll show up.  Thank you, dear friend.

I'm thankful for the texts and check-ins with friends I just do not get to see enough. Our lives have shifted.  Many of them are empty-nesters, my work fills my days and I miss the time I use to have, we use to have and our seasons.  But we stay connected, figure eights apply and we help one another as we can.

Life on Newark-Granville Road- ups, downs and filled with friends that keep us moving. I am grateful. Thank you for reading.





No comments: