Search This Blog

Monday, December 21, 2020

2020 December- almost Christmas Check-In

 At some point I'll post the official 2020 LEITHAUSER CHRISTMAS/ HOLIDAY CARD POST.  I do this every year, well I thought I did. I enjoy the search capacity of this blog site.  I did a quick December search and was treated to walk down memory lane. I am reminded that often I'm not blogging or sharing or sending holiday wishes until much later in the month.  Leithausers embrace the 12 days so well and LOVE to send Happy New Year Greetings. This year will be no different.

Despite the "slow downed pace" of 2020 due to the pandemic...we're not ready and it is okay. Want to know why we are not ready- allow me to share, for the history books and because we keep it real.

1st- we did order holiday cards- early for us- the weekend of Thanksgiving. They are allegedly in Atlanta. USPS clog...can I go volunteer for the USPS?  They do say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year...Joe said- even if we don't get them out on time, they say Happy New Year- it is okay.  And I had the we celebrate all 12 days here on NG Road.  Universe heard that!  The reality is every card that does arrive is gold.  I so appreciate the messages and real mail that arrives.  Some one encouraged me to give up these cards, it adds stress.  The reality is it does not add stress for me. I enjoy sending mail to others and will personalize each one- although it may be just be a signature that you can't read! It also helps to point folks to this blog to get the real scoop on what is happening with us.

2nd- the December of kitchen woe.  The fridge - the new fridge- the only size fridge for that spot- the one we spent too much money on- the one we received in the summer. That fridge would not stay cold. After months of negotiation- the replacement arrived! Then the dishwasher broke- it was time for a new one. We ordered, were confirmed for arrival/instal the evening before. First thing in them am- nope no washer for you.  One week of hand washing in the time of covid (added bleach spray process) was enough. This about did me in...but we kept going and Joe secured an upgrade.  That dishwasher has been installed and we're thrilled.  And soon after that...the faucet - done.  I had noticed a change in water pressure, mentioned it but....not until it just stopped sharing water- on the day I was cooking to fulfill two meal trains slots.  New faucet is ordered!! (Oh please please Baby Jesus, may that faucet not be en route with anything to do with the USPS.) In the mean time we fill pitchers of water from the bathroom (the tiny bathroom) sink.  We'll see how true it is that we are not to rinse our dishes for this new dishwasher! Feel free to coach. We'll also let you know how effective Joe's training on loading a dishwasher is this go-around! Kids are taking bets on what is next...we all know it is the oven.  Anyway it makes everything take longer.  Update- we move to car care....new shoes for the red car!

3rd- I'm in school and working and volunteering and enjoying the season.  A friend recently said- "oh thanks to being home- I'm more ready than ever".  I had to pause and think- why can't I say that? I'm not going out either....but I was studying, working on a paper, reading and going to MD.  In the middle of a hard hard day- my final grade arrived. Phew- the time and work paid off and I feel great about that work. And regular readers or those that stop me know I love what I am learning- Rosenwald Schools, Harmony, Indiana....Work- no way around it- COVID has made this hard. I miss in person meetings, visits...zoom has been fun, cool, good, productive, but exhausting. THANK YOU to all the support of Denison, and philanthropy in general! Our own philanthropic support at this time of the year is at the top of my to-do list. I made that list yesterday and it felt so good.  (Although all these repairs and replacements are eating into the philanthropy fund- sigh.) I will say we're having great in the moment moments. I'm loving the tree in the house and spending time there- see earlier post and pic. We drove around to see house lights last night- had to check off that tradition.  THANK YOU Granville Chamber of Commerce: Granville House Lights for the Holidays!  Love this new contest you added to the Walking Tour Fun!    I can't recommend Top Golf enough- outdoor time together- we celebrated Aunt Ann's birthday last week that way- so good to be together with our dear family in a safe way.

So I'm behind on the card, the December post and yes gifts. Not sure about you all but this is the year it is harder. I'm a go out and shop girl. I get ideas, soak up the decor. These feels materialistic typing it but it is true.  I love to shop local, museum stores, during my travels...that has not happened this year. I'm really not an on-line shopper. My kids are getting very practical things from us this year. I'll share the reaction when we open....during the 12 days of Christmas. We've all agreed to stretch it out this year...even Leithauser Christmas will happen later. We sure do miss Jim and Nadine and hope we'll be together soon. And Caiden and Alicia....so fun to reflect on Christmas in recent years with a young child. Another 2020 reminder- God or Universe- memories, time together, even a good old fashioned phone call mean so much.  I would say mail a card....but oh my- if a card is mailed but never receives its addressee is it still a card? I've sent a number of thank you notes, how are you doing, thank you for your work cards...have they made it?  Maybe my goal for 2021 will be to call each person that sent me mail to let them know it arrived.

I'll end here...just sharing a bit, documenting this pandemic year.  Trying to focus on the positive, count my blessings that are overflowing and not pull my energy from anger...great sermon yesterday Karen....memories are keeping us warm and we're making new ones and history together in December 2020 in our lives on Newark-Granville Road.


No comments: