Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Back to School Fun, Mystery and Funny!

Clare has asked Sally for weeks to make chocolate chip cookies on the day before school.  Clare wanted cookies to pack in her lunch.  We made sure we had the supplies, including a carton of butter.
Yesterday my big kids were on their own the day before school started. They had their plans, a credit card, and supply lists.  I had to work late but at 8 pm gathered with them to hear accounts of the day. I asked about cookies and no one seemed to say anything. Joe said- it smelled like cookies when I came home.  Listening to three reflections of the day, or better said, listening to Sally, while asking Clare and Peter (yelling up and down stairs to join me in the kitchen- it was an active house with lots to take in- not to mention enjoying a yummy salad and left over pasta!  I don't recall hearing much about the cookies Ask Joe about this and he'll say when I came home I said I smellncookies, asked who made them and the kids were quick to say- NO, NO COOKIES here.

Recognizing no cookies to fulfill Clare's request, wanting to do something for my kids from me, cooking is one of my love languages, I started to queue up the cookie supplies.  I noticed two sticks of butter gone- someone had made cookies.  My guess was:
a. they made them and ate them all, and then Clare said...Peter and I thought:
b. Peter ate all the batter.

Clare came clean- smiling- Peter made batter and tried to bake cookies and it was a huge mess, something went wrong.  It was brown and flat. We called Peter and Sally down and they all opened up about the tale declaring- but we cleaned up so you never knew!?!!  Life on Newark-Granville Road ah-ha- they are learning!  We laughed and chocked it up to fun times!  Hopefully they're also learning- we'll always figure it out. Party here? We cleaned up....

Later in the evening I dove into the task.  Wanting to get to bed but wanting the kids to have their cookies for lunches I made quick work with the mixer. As I started to measure (loose term with me) the shades of white caught my eye and I ended up tasting the flour.  Not flour at all- powdered sugar! A bag of confectioners sugar had been in the cabinet, someone had added it accidentally to the flour container.  So I put the butter/sugar mix in the fridge and went to bed - recreating my morning plan to pick up flour and bake.   When I went upstairs Joe was up and laughed at my discovery, asking...did I do that when I made waffles Saturday?

First day of school morning- when I woke up Clare and shared the news of the cookies- she went- THAT MAKES SENSE!  And giggled.  Sally nodded a sleepy nod and Peter said- I'm getting up.  Off I went to get the donuts and store supplies.  During our active morning that included Joe cooking corn beef hash, making lunches, I squeezed in cookies listening to the rest of the story be revealed.  Peter came down and clarified the story, again asking for affirmation of his good clean-up work. Joe recognized he had made the error with the sugar- joking he had sabotaged the cookie plan.  Fun and funny times in our lives on Newark-Granville Road!

Happy Back to school day...another funny may have been me waving my three goodbye, chasing the car with kisses as Clare drove all three to the Middle/High School for the first day of school- exciting new year that will be pray will be filled with more errors, mix-ups, successes, re-dos, lessons, laughs and love. Thanks to all who made yesterday a great day before school day and will be with them at school.


No comments: