Search This Blog

Sunday, June 2, 2019

Denison Reunion 2019- Family Time

It has been some time since I blogged about Denison- March!  I'm a bit sensitive as the kids tease me about my Denison perspective.  I'm aware it can be, maybe is all consuming.  Maintaining work-life balance is not today's topic- Denison Reunion is! I was working this weekend, but the beauty is my work is about relationships with fantastic people- including family. It was my sister's 25th reunion so that was the class event  I "staffed" on Saturday- lucky me.  Reunion brings dear friends who are part of our Denison family to town. I just loved time with Sarah and her friends in fun ways- supporting their reunion time. Today I wrapped it up catching up with wonderful Lindsay. Thank you Lindsay '04 for the coffee talk!!  

Some things to share, because that is what I do. Again I don't mean for this to be boastful or bragging.  I'm a proud alumna and want to share.
 
Pam Houston- https://pamhouston.net  It is hard for me to believe I have not blogged about her before. Fantastic author  I loved Cowboys are my Weakness  and Sight Hound.  Dog lovers you must read!  She has a new book- Deep Creek: Finding Hope in the High Country.  She read from it and shared insights. I bought it and will read it VERY SOON. Like I want to stop everything and read it now. I won't as I have to finish another good book for book club and have some Sunday fun including a grad party for dear friend in Columbus!! 

The highlight was engaging with Pam a few times over the weekend then listening to hear reflect about Denison.  The reminder/lesson was about how Denison faculty teach. The support she received and the person she became because of attending this special liberal arts college in the mid-west and the people who were here.  I cried a few times in her Saturday afternoon session. I'm not going to go into it now but would love to share in person.  And yes- read anything you can by her and I'll let you know about "Deep Creek".  Many alums there had many great things to say about it. Pam was honored with an Alumni Citation and is so very deserving!

Time with Alex Moffat- Saturday night live cast member, awesome member of the Class of 2004 was cool. He was real and genuinely happy to be back with friends.  Part of my "work" helping execute Reunion 2019 was supporting prep for the convocation with award recipients. And really the fun was Alex introducing me to his classmates.  Classmates I already know and love- so really the Alex highlight was just connecting with one more awesome Class of 2004 alumni.  Thank you to all who returned from that group- can't wait for your next triple reunion!! Lindsay- you are my favorite though!! Nic and Frank you are up there- maybe we should do an updated- It is a Great Time to be At Denison?  Take away- stay tuned to Alex Moffit https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5803981/

So walking to the chapel on chapel walk was special but walking from the chapel to the lunch was just awesome!  Jane Heller and her college roommate Marcia came up the hill for the Reunion- Class of 1949! Friends for so long- we should all be so lucky.  I adore the parade of classes and how we cheer for one another- so special to help these ladies receive their woo-hoos, yelps and applause- so deserved.  Then we sat in shady spot to have lunch- we all need lunches like that!

Pi Phi- not much time for this organization these days but I do what I can when I can.  Opening up the house was fun and I just loved saying hello to fellow sisters and connecting with wonderful women who knew me as a young mother and helped me- oh I loved our babysitters. I also made some new friends- one 1994 pi phi is sending us her daughter- Class of 2023! Life's figure eights reveal themselves in fun ways- her husband and Joe worked together back in the Columbus Accenture days!

The weekend was full  of incredible stores and connections.  The theme was re-connections- some like Jane and Marcia who see one another in town and my sister and me- Sarah was just here last weekend! A very special one was the 1969 woman I met on Thursday.  As always I was impressed with her career- the 50th reunion women always inspire me.  Turns out she was the first female physics major- wow!  We saw one another again at the Friday night reception where she reconnected with our dear friend Trig Gamble- her physics professor. They had not seen one another in 50 years!! Oh what a delight and honor to engage with her share her story with others and watch the connections happen.

Denison is about relationships- we are family and it was wonderful reunion. Perfect timing as I ready to help spread that word to our newest members of the family- the Class of 2023 families.  I'll post links when I have them- pictures and articles coming soon from the official Denison communicators! Thanks for sharing my relfections of family time in my life on Newark-Granville Road.

No comments: