Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2021

Day of Giving for Denison- Throw Back Thursday- Home to Granville

 So much fun to reflect on our time on the hill as part of my "work" today! Of course, it started in 1985 with a visit. I had my application completed at Wittenberg- thinking I'd like to do the 3-2 program in nursing there. This was based on the Fiske paper book and AP bio! One senior interview, one tour on a blue-skied Friday, an overnight at the Buxton- done! Thanks, Mom- your recommendation, you were right.

Then I came back to June O in1986, met Lori and Kate and my Mom met their parents. Move-in day that August put the three of us all in a row on the 3rd floor of East Hall. THANK YOU STUDENT LIFE STAFF! The parents continued happy to see one another over those parent's weekends and became friends, even returning to Granville in the 2000s for their own reunion. Lauren and Julie other in East joined the group.  The incredible friends I made and posted with some photos on Facebook! I've got more...the Kahiki ones may be my favorite, or maybe June O, of course, the pi phi pics....Oh was I lucky to have friends with all the women in East and then my angel sisters?  I did not live on the West Quad until Junior year when my friends went abroad.  We also loved welcoming Tracy to our suite that year- she transferred in and her brother followed her.  My brother and sister also followed me!  Good thing I went abroad to the West Quad- that is where I remember meeting Joe Leithauser! I enjoyed serving on June O staff 3 times- after the first year, sophomore year, and returning after graduation in 1990 to enjoy the prettiest time on campus in my opinion.  What fun, what fun those four years were.  But they didn't end there...not at Denison!

Returning for reunions, my sibling's Homecomings and Commencements and to serve on Alumni Council and meet special volunteers like Amy Sibert Lovett.  I also had my dear adopted grandmother through Shirley Hale- pi phi Mom- Beth Jenkins.  I may have moved around- Michigan twice, Nebraska, Kentucky, and Ohio drew me home- it was my "home away from home".  So when Joe and I had a 2nd date in Granville and eventually married I knew Granville would become ours. Lucky me.

All of those cities led to Denison connections and friends "off the hill". And a natural fit from volunteering to working! The luck continued with a job on the hill.  When I throw back I want to find more photos from great work colleagues and friends and volunteers in Colwell House and moving to Burton Morgan 1999-2005! Thank you Lyn Boone for hiring me! I stayed home after Miss Sally was born, only to return to my current role in 2015- thank you Julie Houpt and Murley Miller!  And all of those years I remained a volunteer- volunteers make the world go around and lead to such joy and friendships- off and on the hill. It was Marcia Downs that said- help me get Denison more involved at The Works and I did! That led to not only a job, but a career- thank you. It also led to meeting Adam Weinberg.

I hope you will visit my Instagram and Facebook pages to see some of the pictures. A few here too. Friends from all of the roles and so many generations and my own family- Scott- brother in law is a big bonus! Life on Newark-Granville Road is so special and really is thanks to Denison. Denison is thanks to philanthropy- so it is right to post here and say- thanks for supporting our day of giving if it works for you! https://support.denison.edu/dayofgiving  Thank you! And now it is time for class....Principal and Practices of Fundraising!




No comments: