Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Summer Jobs, the lessons they provide!

My original intent for this post was to shine some light on Peter. My most recent posts have not had much to share about dear Peter, my 2nd child, the middle kid and only boy. Peter is the one living at home this summer and one might think there would be much to report about his various activities. The reality is he has been working. Peter arrived home from Wabash in Crawfordsville, Indiana and went right to work and has not stopped.

The first part of his summer was umpiring at Racoon Valley Park for the Granville Rec. This is his third summer and he obviously loves it. Thanks to all the friends that snapped pics and shared texts. We're proud of his long days (3 games at a time), engagement with all generations, and the ability to do this hard work. He is making quick decisions often questioned. The life lessons are immense and most important is the self awareness provided.   He didn't like me to attend games and I get that. I did enjoy the walk down memory lane when I'd make a pit stop on my way home from the Farmers Market.

The second part of his summer employment is at Lowes. He was clear in a goal for the summer, make money. He listened to advice from friends and family that led to the box store experience. Cashier is his title, often spending time in the outdoor garden area. He enjoys working in the lumber section and now knows what a 2 by 4 is, although Joe is quick to say the actual dimensions are 1 1/2 by 3 1/2 inches. I've been thrilled with the approach to customer service he recites and is rewarded. He was happy to receive this red vest, with a badge for assisting a customer. He would not let me take a photo. Thanks again to friends sharing their interactions with him. He does the same, each evening reporting on his engagement, sometimes saying- I'm not sure who it was but they say hi.  Probably the most impressive component of this commission are the hours. Peter's usual shift is 6 am to 3 pm. I've heard him rise at 5 to shower and make breakfast before heading to Heath.  Many many people do this, very successful people do this, we're glad to know Peter can do this.

What was your favorite summer job and least favorite summer job? I've used this as ice breakers for meetings and find it quite revealing.  I'm fortunate to have so many fond memories of my summer employment: FHCC lifeguarding with rainy day bonding in that long gone under the patio space; Lake Raystown Resort with a long drive over two mountains (no doubt a contributor to my confidence for travel) and bevy of special relationships; and the summer at the beach- LBI- with 3 jobs. I learned then retail was not for me and cherish the time in a commercial kitchen.  If you know Joe well you know his time with a Frank-A-Matic or how he learned to drive shift!  

Life on Newark-Granville Road has many lessons, tales and reflections many taking places in this fabulous season called Summer!



No comments: