Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2023

Savoring the Sweet to Balance the Blah

The hiccups of the holidays in 2022: the need to drop everything and travel to Maryland a day early due to Mother Nature; the power going out at Mom's new home; the call about Lucy tearing a back leg muscle on the 23rd in the midst of terrible weather for the dog sitter; my poor brother's all day flying adventure...all that negative and blah...but the sweet gifts of the season and time together made it all Okay....Life On Newark-Granville Stoner Christmas 2022 TakeAways:

1. Hooray for Granville Pet Sitting- Jenny Rose- is a saint and took such good care of Lucy. More info on the blog as we navigate this journey.   A surgery consult is scheduled. Lucy is managing on her own and we're teaching her to walk on a leash to prepare.  Mother Nature made Jenny Rose's work extra hard, her devotion to our pup is extraordinary!  Thanks to friends for the assistance so we could continue with important family time.

2. Generators- Mom's partner Michael is a gem.  As if the Stoner get-together wasn't enough to endure- we're a spirited bunch that likes to stay active- the man had to feed the generator gasoline in the wee hours. The power outage gave us time to sit in the dark and watch the sunset, find the local bar (with fabulous seafood food and a free round of drinks?!), and recognize what a hard-working, warm,th and light provider we have in Michael.  Having a generator at home was peace of mind for Lucy and Jenny!

3. Travel plans- oh my goodness- dear Southwest!?!  Matthew spent all day hoping to get on his flight, 3 am arrival was the sweet success- we recognize so many didn't have the same result. The universe knew my Mom needed to hug her doobie, and our family time was long overdue.

Stoner Christmas 2022- Maryland Style- so many sweet moments to savor:

1. Meeting Betty Cooke!  Betty Cooke is a Baltimore Artist. Her Jewelry has been treasured by our family forever.  Last year I had the delight to see the BC Exhibit at the Walters Museum. https://thewalters.org/exhibitions/betty-cooke/  Then this year, while visiting Store Limited, I met her!  Yes, it was a brush-with-greatness moment for me. We had a nice talk and then she said- have you seen our socks? I said, no, and she took me to the sock department. Now background- this was the Christmas of the sock. I bought socks for each family member but did not buy socks for myself.  Betty showed me these delightful socks with her image and I had to give myself a gift- it was meant to be!

2. Longwood Garden Trip- as beautiful as everyone said it would be and so much more! It was the day to be outside, stretch our legs, and explore with delight.  I'll post a bunch of pics on my social media- they don't do any of it justice but what a treat!  The icing on the cake- dinner out and having dear long-time friend Tina Berman with her guys join us, and then Denison pal Paul- such a joy to mix family and friend time at the holidays!  I know so many others I should of reached out to that live in the area..I'm sorry...juggling family time. I hope to return.

3. Time to just be: in the back seat of a car, at the kitchen window watching the amazing birds, sitting by the fire, cocktail hours, and Top Golf- we managed through that hiccup too- fire alarms are not relaxing!  Louisa is really growing up and the cousin time is something we all savor.

4. Sharing a service that truly delights. We missed being at dear Granville FPC, what a treat to return to Redeemer with Sarah and the family. Mom and Michael didn't make it but did make it to their church's 9 pm service.  

We really rolled and flexed, pivoted as needed this trip- lessons of the ice storm or covid, Sara? Life on Newark-Granville Road is full of them. My faith helps me in this life and Christmas is about spreading joy, and sharing the message of comfort and peace...this life isn't easy and has its challenges but oh the sweetness love provides is everlasting and a true treat to be savored.


No comments: