Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Book Club on Newark-Granville Road...... And my favorite book didn't event make the list! Okay so I admit I haven't read any of the books that made "the list" but a friend (who also lives on Newark-Granville Road) brought "Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home" by Jeni Britton Bauer for me to review and I'm so glad she did!  Somehow it didn't get to the "other recommend list" either....I will add it now!  I took a look tonight and I'm in love!

So most of you know I really like Jeni's ice cream. I like the taste, flavors, stories, passion and innovation. After a quick read I'm even more impressed, inspired and appreciative of what Jeni and her team have created and shared. I can't wait to start applying some lessons from this book to my own cooking.  Not that I'll be making ice cream any time soon but utilizing her underlying philosophy and coaching in other ways.....I love to cook- it is how I soothe myself, show love, escape and find happiness so it is not surprising that cook books often are at the top of my list!  Friends please share your thoughts about this cookbook!!  Who else has it?!!

Life on Newark-Granville Road is busy right now- school and kid activities have started back up. Work is demanding and challenging in good ways for both Joe and me. And our dear Sparky is in a pen in the green house recovering from his accident last week.  So it is not surprising that I've found even greater pleasure in the book list created by a valuable group of friends around the table on Newark-Granville Road.



DateBookAuthor
3-OctA Dog's PurposeW. Bruce Cameron
7-NovPeople of The BookGeraldine Brooks
5-DecYear in ProvencePeter Mayle
9-JanMurder on The Orient ExpressAgatha Christie
6-FebRevolutionJennifer Donnelly
5-MarSomeone Knows My NameLawrence Hill
2-AprLight in AugustWilliam Faulkner
7-MayThe Moment I KnewTerri Spar Nelson-editor
4-JunOkay for NowGary D. Schmidt
2-JulRoom: A NovelEmma Donoghue
6-AugLove and SummerWilliam Trevor
10-SepRead from Recomm listMeet at Susan's to plan!
1st MondaysCVL Lodge Lobby 7:30 start
REcommendations- didn't make "the list" but they look good!!!

TitleAuthor
The Art of Racing in the RainGarth Stein
Dreams of JoyLisa See
The Wish List
John AdamsMcCullough
TrumanMcCullough
Pillars of the EarthFollet
Winesburg OhioSherwood Anderson
**Movie- Amazing Grace
The End of the AffairGraham Greene
And Then There Were NoneAgatha Christie
Battle Hymn of the Tiger MotherAmy Chu
Fall of GiantsFollet
The ImperfectionistThomas Rachman
Poetry by Mary Oliver
Poetry by Billy Collins
DocMaria Doria Russell
Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness Alexandra Fuller
the Tree of Forgetfulness
The Geeks Shall Inherit the EarthAlexandra Robbins
Half Broke HorsesJeannette Walls
Family FangKevin Wilson
Stories I only tell my friendsRob Lowe
Before I FallLauren Oliver
UnBrokenLaura Hilderbrand
Brideshead RevisitedEvelyn Waugh
The Life and Time ofBill Bryson
the Thunderbolt Kid

No comments: