Search This Blog

Sunday, October 15, 2017

Signs, signs, everywhere there are signs.....

Life on Newark-Granville Road can be very public.  Many people drive, walk, bike, run by and take notice of our activities.  Not surprising Joe and I are often asked to put political signs in our yard.  We came to a casual agreement and policy:  if the person running is a good friend or if we're working on the issue or campaign we'll put the yard sign in our yard.  We also limit the number of signs- two is pushing it. If Joe had his way there would probably be no signs.  In theory I'd probably put a number of signs as I like to engage in politics.  The key phrase being "in theory."

I hear political signs don't work, are not effective. However the perception to the public in our area is that they do work.  Better said, there is demand for signs - those running for office or leading a ballot issues are asked often for yard signs are told- they needs signs. I am sorry to miss a talk at Denison on Wed. Oct 18 4:00 pm in Knapp 204 about yard signs.   Politics on Display is the title, Yard Signs And The Politicization of Socialization of Public Spaces by Anand Sokhey '03- Denison! PhD from Ohio State and now  an Associate Professor of Political Science at University of Colorado Boulder.  If you go I hope you'll let me know and we can discuss your take-aways.  My theory is signs should inspire conversation, awareness and hopefully inspiration to vote!  Not the way I will, but just to vote.

Recently I've been asked to place one sign for the November elections.  Because it was a friend who asked, a friend who explained her reasons for running for re-election, we said yes.  I was asked to meet with another candidate to offer insights on important issues for the community.  We had a nice talk and she was very knowledgeable on a hot topic for me- sewer and water.  Sewer and water access is key to our town's sustainability/ tax base and the right thing to do- our public officials need to see this as a priority. I left our meeting wanting a yard sign for this candidate. I also like the fact we're endorsing two women in this race.  I admire all of the candidates running and am grateful for their service.  I appreciate the two candidates reached out to us and engaged us in conversation.  Consider this their reward access to our yard.  I hope you'll notice and think consider for whom and why you'll cast a ballot.


No comments: