Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

Thoughts from the Road- Susan's recent Travels.

It has been quite a busy few weeks in my life on NG Road.  So much travel I contemplated a new blog...Life off Newark-Granville Road!  A travel blog......I do enjoy travel, sharing tips and tidbits, musings.  I don't have enough time to keep up with this blog, I don't need two.  I will continue to integrate travel reflection here.

This week's travel fun- Chicago! Three cheers for Southwest Airlines. I was able to go up and back in the day.  I like flying into Midway and taking the L to and from the city.  I'm not ready for Christmas but do appreciate seeing the prep happening at Marshall Fields- the big downtown store! I know it is now Macy's but it will always be MF to me!  I was flying home at 10, my meeting wrapped up at 6- I took a walk through this shopping mecca.  I didn't feel like shopping but enjoyed taking in the happenings.

I also traveled south to Hocking Hills for a work retreat.  What a delight to learn, connect with colleagues and soak in the quiet and beauty of this natural treasure so close home.  We stayed at the Inn at Cedar Falls.  This was my second visit and I enjoyed the meeting space and my food.  The lodge rooms are OK. I'd like to return and stay in one of the new Yurts! The cabins look nice as well. The staff are friendly and appreciate the business.  Our work for the two days was about gift planning and so fascinating.  If anyone would like to learn more, talk about this I'd enjoy the opportunity.  Not just gifts that benefit Denison, but any of philanthropy.  The great news about gift planning is the strategies to meet your needs- donor needs and interest- beyond philanthropic, good tax sense! This trip provided two reminders......when camping, make sure there is enough scotch. Okay we didn't camp, but we were in a camping mode and the scotch did come in handy.  And "smoke follows beauty"  camp fire fun was part of the agenda. We laughed and enjoyed being around the camp fire.  Said fire had a design flaw, but our fearless and dedicated leader prevailed and a few hours effort gave us a roaring focal point.   Thanks for the memories, learning, quiet and laughs Ed!

Last week Denison work took me to the west coast and the Bay area.  It was a quick trip and my schedule was full so I did not post this one on FB.  Again I love Southwest- the direct flight from Columbus to Oakland is wonderful.  The Denison Connecting event was very special- so many great Denionians helping one another and bonus 1990 Classmates were on hand.   Great to reconnect with good guys and gal and others from our era.  Bonus was a young alum who is very special- that was posted on FB!  Great advice was shared in particular - failures are important, almost badges of honor!  I enjoyed the time to connect with Denison parents making differences not only for Denison but their communities. Hearing updates on their young alumnus and student studying abroad was great.  Travel  notes:  The Double Tree Hilton- Berkeley Marina is a favorite hotel of mine.  I love the walking trail on the bay, connected to a park. I repeated from a past trip and treated my exercise with Tibron Toast in the hotel's restaurant.  I also was able to visit Swan's Oyster Depot in Russian Hill for.....oysters!  The pacific northwest half shells were like BUTTA- oh my! The clams pretty good too.  What a treat. Joe and I found Swan's years ago- a Bon Appetite Chef's guide to the city pointed the way.

I took the red-eye home from LA to enjoy a vacation day!  When the kids don't have school in October we've followed the lead and good sense of good friends to go to...Keeneland in Lexington, KY.  We were sad not to have Clare with us, or the friend this year.  Clare stayed home for field hockey practice- what a season- woo hoo and for homework.  The red eye was difficult- I've never been designed for that travel.  Arriving home at 6 am, I had to lay down- I needed some vertical time.  This put us behind our usual routine/schedule- arriving early and enjoying the Track Kitchen.  We did make it for the 2nd race and had a lovely day. Bonus was taking the country roads behind the property home- one of the prettiest drives ever.  We also had some big fun wins- Clairnation- fun bet to place and more fun to claim the winnings!  It wasn't perfect day- I keep it real out here.  The darn big car isn't big enough for Sally and Peter. Bucket seats/Captain seats in the 2nd row- doesn't prevent the pick-pick-picking and bickering- argh.  The race time was great, the drive down and back could of been better.

And that is where I've been as I've ventured off Newark-Granville Road.  So much more to share or reflect about...the incredible season that finally came to and end- the undefeated season met with defeat in the 2nd round of the tournament. I'll blog after the banquet.  Granville's Christmas Candlelight Walking Tour drama- sigh...Joe was surprised it was Columbus news...I'm afraid it may have made National News.  Stress of kids today.....happiness tonight was telling Clare the ACT test score tomorrow really doesn't matter.  I think she took it in.  It will help her path and college selection  journey but she is in a great place. And oh the fun we'll have on this journey....traveling off of NG Road.

No comments: