Search This Blog

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Thanksgiving Stoner Southern Style!

What a wonderful Stoner Thanksgiving.  Dawn and Matt hosted us so very very well and we all loved the quality time together.   These pics showcase just a few of the amazing activities and outings we all enjoyed!  We laughed, toasted, relaxed and really enjoyed the trip.  I didn't know how much I needed a trip like this - a true vacation, 70 degree weather pretty awesome!
 


 
 
We of course missed trotting in Granville's Turkey Trot- Matt and Dawn gave us an almost 4 mile route. Some of us ran, some walked, some took a ride. A great scavenger hunt was part of the fun for  the kids- inspired by Forest Drive days!  We all were pleased to have this exercise as we ate very well. Dawn is an excellent cook- what a treat!

A highlight for me was our canoeing trip on the Wekiva River.  Hmmm river? I've heard about this activity for years and was anxious to see it for myself.  I admit the idea of being close to alligators and snakes was concerning and added anxiety.  The day's cons- cold and rainy, nerves, inexperienced canoers.  The day's pros- willing participants, beautiful setting, incredible planning and packed lunch of left over turkey sandwiches- mto!! The results- Peter and Mom had some learning time about each other.  Or maybe better said I benefited from seeing Peter in this situation- we made memories and overcame a rough start. We did not capsize but zig zagged and barely made progress.  No worries of wildlife due to the banter.  Once we found shore and switched positions, did some yoga breathing we were great!  The hurricane damage did curtain our access, but the day worked out fine. We all had an adventure, can take pride in our success and enjoyed the fun of being together.  As usual I wanted to be in two places- my sister, sister in law and Mom shopped and enjoyed a great lunch out together- that would of been fun.  I'm glad I shared this beautiful with challenges outdoor adventure!

Matthew, Dawn, Grace and Emma have a beautiful home. You can tell they love to entertain and enjoyed having us as much as we loved being with them.  They shared their wonderful community, favorite haunts, loaned us cars, coordinated every detail. We are all very grateful for a Southern style Stoner Thanksgiving.  My father summed it up- we're lucky to have a family that likes to gather and likes being together.  Life on Newark-Granville Road had two fantastic family filled Thanksgiving- lucky lucky me!

No comments: