Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Giving Tuesday Giving Season

I love giving Tuesday.  I even embraced Cyber Monday this year and I always partake in Small Business Saturday. I'm not a Black Friday shopper by the way.  I was in the great outdoors canoeing with family, celebrating Thanksgiving.  Life on Newark-Granville Road enjoys giving gifts and shopping for Christmas is a treat.  I prefer to wait until December and Joe knows this.  Maybe that is why he asked me last night while I was focused on the screen texting for sizes if I was getting deals or just getting things done?  All the more reason to embrace today's Giving Tuesday.

If you are reading this and didn't make a gift to your favorite non-profit- there is still time!  A bonus this year was an organization giving to charities on my behalf!  It was such a great way to start the day- they allowed me to select from one of three and I chose The American Red Cross.  My father receives blood twice a month- blood drives and collection are critical.  All of the natural disasters this year- hurricanes and fires alone- the Red Cross was there.  And I post today to ask you, if able, to donate beyond money, donate your blood.

I'm donating blood on Thursday at the Granville High School Latin Club's Blood Drive- please join me!!  Here is the scoop:
The Granville Latin Club will host a blood drive on November 30th from 7:45 am to 12:45 pm in the Granville High School Gym. For more information or to make an appointment to donate, email Derrick Fisher at dfisher@granvilleschools.org or sign up online at  redcrossblood.org  with sponsor code GranvilleHS. Walk-ins are also accepted. Donors will receive a Buy One Get One Free six inch sub from Subway of Granville. The Red Cross needs donors with all blood types, especially those with types O negative, A negative and B negative. Double-red donations are also welcome and very much needed! This blood drive is our way of giving our school and community an opportunity to help save lives.

Tomorrow at Denison- time slots are available.  Can't make it this week- here are other opportunities- thank you for making time.  http://redcrossblood.org/give/drive/driveSearchList.jsp?zipSponsor=43023&sd=112917&ed=022718&zipFormat=true&_requestid=145994#

We can all make the concept of Giving Tuesday be an everyday event.  We can give our time and care, as well as our treasure.  I know it is the time of the year when the "asks", the solicitations are as plentiful as the emails advertising Black Friday and Cyber Monday.  I hope Giving Tuesday's stories and testimonies were inspiring.  I'm inspired to share one of the reasons I give. One amazing bit of advice I value when it comes to making the decision, to give or not to give.

My father always said- do you enjoy the magazine from your alma mater? Cover those costs with a donation to the Annual Fund.  Do you like receiving invitations to events?  Want to be on the mailing list- make a donation.  The advice I share about networking or career experience- consider a non-profit volunteer opportunity!  Give your time and receive not only the satisfaction of making a difference, you can sharpen skills and meet amazing people.

Life on Newark-Granville Road encourages your giving today, tomorrow and everyday.  Stay tuned for more holiday updates....decorating coming soon!

No comments: