Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Getting into the Spirit..feeling the Hope of Advent

I will be very honest- the whole "Christmas" in or out of the Granville Christmas Candlelight Walking Tour put a damper on my spirits as we approached the date. Both sides had valid points and both sides had representation that I found very disappointing.  Our beautiful town's wonderful kick-off to an important and special time of joined step with national events that are interesting and disappointing at times. At the same time it is a very important time and we need these topics to be discussed, explored and even exposed.  I try to stay positive- we live in very very interesting times.  I could go on about this but will not...instead I'll turn to this wonderful time of year.

As readers of the blog know it was a very good Thanksgiving and that prepared me to be in a good place this past weekend and excited to welcome December.   Woosh- in my life on Newark-Granville Road December arrived with fantastic festivities and lots of wonderful music and fellowship.  The sermon on Sunday at FPC was all about Hope and it resonated so well.  I hope you will read it- coming soon here: http://www.granpres.org/sermons/  Karen's message was well timed and powerful. I take it for inspiration and a theme.  Here are some reflections on the weekend with humor and reflection, not deep but real.


The weekend included a beautiful cookie exchange. Cookie exchanges can cause me stress- this was an elegantly simple cookie centered gathering beautifully executed for mother-daughters. Joe gets bonus points for picking up Sally so I was able to stay the whole time. I attended with Clare first then Sally.  The hope and idea of enjoying the cookies sadly vanished when Griffey made way with my box of cookies.  I didn't need the calories but still.  I've reached out to some of the bakers of the cookies I was HOPING to taste and I'm on the list to be contacted when they bake again!


Hoping to find a great Christmas tree our afternoon included a visit to our beloved Messerall's. Search for the reason why we go here, beyond there continued great service and offerings.   I blogged about it on 12-8-14!  Four out of five us set out in lovely weather.  Each year it is a bit different and we understand trees and farming require processes and land.  This year no wagon ride, instead a good hike.  The trees available to us were not as tall as we hoped, so we tried something new- we came home with a pre-cut tree.  I have to say it is GORGEOUS! It is everything I had hoped it to be...big, a bit on the fat side, soft, small needles, great shape, no holes- the only thing it wasn't was in the ground, we didn't have to cut it down.  We did take a healthy hike around the property. We did vote on the process.   The one who was unable to attend gave two thumbs up on the end result.   It did take us some figuring out to get it up on Sunday.  Joe and I had words, I did raise my voice- keeping it real- not what I hoped for but we both said we were sorry and we carried on...changing the stand, redoing the lights and getting life on Newark-Granville Road inside festive and bright.  Tree isn't decorated- hoping for a great night with all of us home to do that!


Hoping to enjoy the music of the season was an easy expectation to have met in Licking County this weekend.  With all of the rehearsals and coordination of who goes where when how for the Walking Tour performance and the Newark-Granville Symphony Orchestra's Holiday event at the Midland- we hoped all would go well. We enjoyed FPC's Youth Choir so very very much this year.  Having all three kids in this choir is very special.  Joy Hire does an outstanding job bringing wonderful talent together all year long. The showcase for the walking tour allows us to clap and hoot and holler making it fun.  The addition of "Sisters" from White Christmas with two darling boys and the Plaugher sisters was just incredible.  This is a song my mother always wanted Sarah and I to sing- ha!  So seeing it executed so well by a family we share life on NG Road since we moved in was pretty wonderful.   Last night's event with the Granville High School Choir and Newark High School Choir joining the NG Symphony was certainly a delight.  Peter is part of the group and it was a treat to behold.  My middle child, my only son is growing up- tall and handsome and quite sharp in a tuxedo.  All of the students looked wonderful and sounded even better- a wonderful way to spend the evening.


The to-do lists are long, December brings additional work but so much fun.  I hope I can stay positive and stress free, maybe better said I hope I can keep the stress and worry about getting it done to a minimum. I hope I can be in the moments like I was (for the most part) able to do this weekend. I'm humming the music and smiling at the memories we made this weekend in our lives on Newark-Granville Road.  I'm looking forward to so many upcoming gatherings...it is going to be a wonderful month!

No comments: