Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Road Trip for Three Please!

It was time to take a break from my life on Newark-Granville Road. It was time for Spring Break! It was time to go on an adventure, see some sights, spend time away from work and the usual to-dos.  This year it made sense to take Clare on some college visits.  Grateful her spring sport isn't meeting and we had these days.  Since Peter's search will move into a higher gear it made sense to take him along for the ride.  Clare's interest lately has been with the GLCA schools and Peter loves Michigan so we planned a road trip to see a few.  We stayed in Marshall, MI the first night and did an Albion drive through, Kalamazoo drive through on the way to Hope in Holland.  Stayed the night in Holland before heading out to Chicago.  Indianapolis is tonight's landing to see DePauw tomorrow and then home.

Road trips for me are contained quality family time.  I never minded the drives to Florida in March for spring training.  There are times I am annoyed and irritated with the behavior but it is all worth it.  That said- my three kids in the car- pick, pick, pick.  I don't get it. We have this big beautiful car and it doesn't have enough room.  That made the decision to send Sally to Maryland for quality family time all the easier.  I'm missing her and she is missing us but it was the right decision.  I'm so proud of her flying by herself and grateful she enjoys the family bonding in MD.  Joe was all about work and staying with the dog this week.  Reality is I was happy to take the lead for a road trip for three!

I'm not going to go into too many details on this post. I just wanted to share the basics.   Joe said tonight my enthusiasm for our quality time has diminished over as I've reported by phone.  The reality is living in a hotel room and spending extended time allows us to really get to know one another.  I certainly know my kids but value this type of travel and these experiences. I admit my work and their activities can limited our time.  They say traveling with someone makes or breaks a dating relationship...I think the same is so for families.  I wasn't really prepared for just how much I would enjoy the time with Clare and Peter, beyond the tasks at hand- getting a sense if these schools could be a fit.

Not only have we visited colleges, we added the fun of introducing Clare to Chicago.  If you know Leithausers you know we love to watch sports- Clare found our outing for this trip.  Northwestern Women's Lacrosse vs Syracuse was part of our itinerary yesterday and what a treat. Bonus was no rain and cool stadium, plus a win for the hometown.  Sharing the city experience with friends offered another highlight- drinks with pals with a similar approach! Mom plus two three kids touring colleges and enjoying Chicago!  New neighbor friends sharing their old neighborhood favorites- live and in person.   Hotel stays are always a treat for my family- The Drake was a bucket list item for me and they did not disappoint.  Clare loved the L- who knew of her interest in subways/public transportation. As much as she enjoys visiting a city, she does not feel it is where she will spend four years at college.  This was revealed during our DC trip in December and stands true. I'm so grateful to hear her rational for what she likes and does not prefer as we navigate this remarkable time in her life.  I'm loving the ride and being part of the journey.

Thank you to Clare and Peter for helping plan the trip, adding insights and requests.  Navigating and enjoying the quest and adventures looking for colleges provides.  The car talks, quiet time for reflection- a fair amount of sleeping has also happened and I have not wanted to disturb them. The great meals out and company as we explore these communities. My life on Newark-Granville Road is good and better when I take a break and find adventure.  It will be good to be home tomorrow, but I will savor what tomorrow brings and the time on the road with my big kids.

No comments: