Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Welcome December, Welcome Lucy our new Pup!

Yes Santa, I want a dog please.
Beautiful day to find a tree!


Successful tree crew 2018.
3 kids, a tree and a dog...life is good!


Sally meets the new dog.
Peter meets the new dog


Thanks for my new home. Peter and Lucy
Susan and Lucy- on pick-up night in Hagerstown.


Driving Miss Lucy to Ohio!

We said we were ready for a dog and the universe provided. Okay- there really is no good time to get a dog, but...Call it an early Christmas gift or restoration of balance in our lives on Newark-Granville Road.  We're dog people and all feels right with Lucy here. 

Lucy's story- I mentioned to a colleague (animal lover) that we were ready to look for a dog.  I promised the kids once fall travel was over we'd start looking.  I was tagged me on Facebook when she saw potential pups. A video showcasing toddlers engaging with this sweet faced Saint Bernard mix needing a new home caught my attention. Joe watched the video and we explored options.  She was in eastern Pennsylvania and I was traveling to DC.  It would work to add a drive home.  I called the vet and was able to secure appointments and boarding for our holiday plans.  Things seemed to fall into place so Friday night I made arrangements to meet and possibly bring her home.  

Life on Newark-Granville is all about adopting dogs.  I remember visiting my college roommate Lori Kurschner after graduation. She inspired me with her adopted golden retriever, it made sense- so many dogs need homes. Often I helped place dogs, taking them in for a bit.  I even helped my brother's dog Lindy find a home in Kentucky when I was there- meeting him half way to connect from Kansas City.  Joe and I adopted Jax the Bouvier early in our marriage.  It is nice to have the story and history of a dog when finding a match.  The video Lucy's mother posted was so helpful.  We need a dog all three kids can walk and a dog that likes other dogs.  We tested that with Lucy right off the bat- we spent the night in Hagerstown with sweet Maggie. Maggie and Lucy's tails didn't stop wagging and not a peep during introduction. Nana and Pap gave her the thumbs up too. At the tree farm today Lucy was a happy camper around all the dogs.  Reality is she loves them- winces a bit when dogs are walking by the house. It is like she is saying- please, please can we go play?

It has been a treat to connect with this sweet, eager to please 1 year old pup.  We bonded immediately and all three kids are thrilled to have her.  Joe recognizes the pros outweigh the cons and our home is more complete.  The pictures tell the story and as Clare says- it is official. If Mom is blogging it is official and no 30 day trial - Lucy is here to stay.  Welcome home Lucy, welcome to your life on Newark-Granville Road.  We recognize there is work to do, we're grateful for the help and support and partnership. We'll keep you posted about life with Lucy in our life on Newark-Granville Road.

No comments: