Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2019

Counting my Blessings, Monday morning

I wanted to post this on Sunday but I just never had the opportunity to sit and share. It was one of "those" weeks in our lives on Newark-Granville Road. In some ways simple as so many of us were gone at some point in the past seven days.  Susan to Naples, FL for work- yes, there are DU parents in 80 degree weather in February to be seen. I added a drive home from Maryland to bring the new to us car- Hansel Winston, I'm back driving a station wagon!!  Joe went to Vegas on a guys trip- love this tradition and time with friends.  Crazy how you have to leave to do so but it works!  Peter went to the swim state meet as an alternative and Sally went to Hocking Hills weekend youth retreat with church.  On top of it all was my big work weekend- I have two a year in the Family Philanthropy world and I'm pleased to say it went really really well.  

The week started with a church meeting that had robust conversation that led to the simplest of answers- count your blessings.  I know we all read this everywhere. And my brain wants to simplify it more- be grateful.  So today's blog post is me reflecting on some of my blessings:
-Sunshine- in Florida and Ohio
-Snow- oh how pretty the contrast- MY mountain drive Friday was different with silhouetted trees.  If it is going to be cold, may we please have snow!
-Safe- those winds were nuts- so far so good, neighbor had big tree uprooted- it fell the right way and the right time.
-Teamwork with YES!  no way, no how could the weekend FLC meeting happened without incredible work by the incredible team that executed, presented. And the team behind the scenes leading up to a weekend like that.
-Philanthropy- parents/donors that care- these FLC members are supporting the college with resources beyond money- thoughts, time, care and perspective.
-Friendship- a special treat in the weekend was an impromptu drink to catch-up and share with a colleague that leads incredibly well.
-Memorials- I attended the service of a 99 year old friend at FPC. Emily was a friend to everyone on so many levels.  She will always be my inspiration from our FLC- Granville time, so much more at the service. Karen you always do a wonderful job with these- such a blessing.  Memorial services are so important- funerals are for the living- the family to grieve but also for the deceased's memory to be strengthened, launched.  Emily was a blessing in this world.  I believe she'll continue to be a blessing- heaven is on earth with the memories we keep alive.
-Friendship- Clare couldn't find her make up for Winter Formal- we were texting during that memorial service (I know bad form) but I wanted to be in two places at once and my phone allowed me to do so.  No biggie- girl group took care of her.  Hair and make up at a friends house, group pictures- a lovely change of pace for me, touch point in my busy work weekend.
-Boys and Mud- Peter and the dog park, Lucy and mud, a tub- enough said.
-Church youth group- this retreat to the hocking hills.  Sally had it on the calendar for weeks- the timing was perfect. I met a nice Mom at pick up- so grateful our church included her son. They go to a smaller church and they appreciated how many kids we had on this trip.  Our church is a blessing.
-Table talk- Logos table time was intentional and how we really connected with Emily and many of our church family.  Constant in our life- not every night as you can tell from above schedule-but enough to be a tradition- family dinner.  Yesterday morning I sat with two dear volunteers-donors-friends and reflected, caught up, shared.  The time went fast and wasn't long enough but it was indeed a blessing to host and be at the table.
-Wins and Loss- we learn through the losses. Life isn't perfect. The celebrations carry us, energizes us.  Lots of these in our lives in various places on and off the athletic field.
-Communication with People is such a blessing! Being able to plan and share.  All the better when you can be honest and real.  I was able to have breakfast with my parents, hug my niece and connect with my sister and brother in law this week in person!! Talking to my brother in the same state- delightful!  Maryland time, not planned. Started with a thoughtful phone call: "hey, you said you got first dibs if we ever sold Greg's wagon?"   Thank you Sarah for the call.  I wanted to return to a wagon when I turned 50 and thanks be to God, the Universe, Kismet (what ever you believe) I believe it is a bit of all these things wrapped up together and tied with Communication.

It was a blessed week in more ways than this. I'm ready to move forward this week on Newark-Granville Road looking and appreciating my blessings.

No comments: