Search This Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Beach- Christopher Style with Memory Lane Visit- 2019 Summer Road Trips

2019 family time - all under one roof- isn't happening this year. Sigh, sniff boo-hoo.  So what do I do? Make plans to see all family- it is what summer is for and it means more road trips!
This week was- take me to the beach- week! Sarah, my sister, often shares that they are "headed to the beach".  Their beach is Delaware and visiting her mother in law in Lewes(pronounced Louis), DE.  I'd never been to that part of Delaware. I've been to Rehobeth and Bethany and have amazing memories.  When we figured out that 2019 wouldn't include Avon, NC the plan started hatching!  The Eastern Shore/Delmarva was calling.

Many variations were brainstormed connected to my 4th of July week trip to see my parents in Hagerstown.  We ended up leaving the boys- my Dad, Peter, and Joe with my parents' new puppy in Hagerstown. Mom and I took the reservation at the Lewes Inn at Canal Square as we are the two really craving beach time!  Sarah, Greg, Louisa, and Lou were great hosts- showing just how to do "the beach" Christopher style.  What a charming town Lewes is! Rehobeth has truly grown filled with good shopping and my beloved- Nic-o-boli from Nicola Pizza!  We kicked off our compact visit with lunch here and it did not disappoint, lived up to the fond memory!  Then we shopped Rehobeth, then we shopped Lewes.  Realizing we didn't want to deal with firework crowds the next day we returned to Rehobeth for seafood dinner and FUNLAND! My niece's one request for our time together-rides and games!  Summer nights at the beach mean boardwalk!  The pictures tell the story:
 

 

Yes- I won the big prize for my dear Goddaughter/niece!

2nd day- our fabulous hosts picked us up and we headed to the beach. Beautiful scenery, cool ocean, hot sand- but thanks to Greg we had the umbrella! Ahhhhhh picnic lunch with stocked cooler- life is good at the beach with the Christophers!  We talked, walked, swam and read- I finished my book-such a good one too- Deep Creek, finding hope at high elevation by Pamela Houston- DU alumna! When we had enough of the increasing temps we headed home. Mom and I took our time getting ready, strolled through a few more shops and settled into cocktails on our deck. 
Dinner outside in the shade, a fabulous crab cake- you really should only have crab cakes in MD, they know how to do it- no filler, lots of beautiful clumps of flaky white crab meat. We wrapped it up with drive around the historic homes in Lewes and girl time with drinks. Picture time:
 

birthday wishes- it was birthday week!

On our way home Mom made sure I had one more memory walk and culinary delight- soft shell crab! The Fisherman's Inn in Kent Narrow, just after the Bay Bridge- a stop we use to make on the way to the beach- Gaga's favorite.  So nice to have this quality family time- alone time with my Mom and time with the wonderful Christopher's in their natural habitat!! Life on Newark-Granville Road now knows just where Sarah is when she says-"we went to the beach" this weekend!  Oh, and wondering about the boys? They did great-go Suns!

No comments: