Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Two Nights with Jane

Jane Heller is one of my heroes. She is an artist, an entrepreneur, a mother, a wife, a friend, a leader, a teacher, a philanthropist, a devoted community member, an all-around good person and yes a Denisonian!  I first heard about Jane when I worked at Denison the 1st time- she was the Grandparent Chair for the Annual Fund.  During my time getting to know our community deeper, when I was not working my relationship with Jane blossomed. I met her through numerous people and places. When I went to The Works I experienced her art and had the privilege to see her in action.  In 2012 Denison awarded her the Alumni Citation- such a special day, I remember it fondly- I was proud to call her my friend and celebrate with her:
https://alumni.denison.edu/citations/jane-carstensen-heller/    I've blogged about Jane and her art in my world many times- when you search this blog you'll find her referenced in 2011, 13,14, 17 and June of 19.  I guess that makes this a figure-eight post, round and round!

Lucky for me I've had two nights in a row with Jane.  Last night Kendall honored her by naming the art gallery for her.  It was a lovely reception that gathered good people. Jane does that- she unites special people together with art as core to the experience.  These photos share my sentiments- look closely at the expressions.  Thank you to all those that made last night happen.  Thank you Jane for being you- your remarks were beautiful, inspirational. You included your friends, you told the stories, you recognized those that share your journey and appreciation- oh Jane you make the world so
beautiful.
 



Tonight we attended an event as Denisonians. What a treat to be at the Columbus Museum of Art for the Denison Beck Series in partnership with Thurber House as author Tayari Jones reflected on her writing and book- An American Marriage.  Jane goes where the art is and today's was amazing. Tayari is a storyteller with fabulous stories.  Lucky us, all of us there- dear friends and Denisonians together meeting and engaging with Tayari! My fellow bookclubers know I love to learn the how and process an author has with writing- Tayari did not disappoint! What a treat to share the evening with you Jane.

Life on Newark-Granville road loves every day when I get to spend time with Jane.  Thank you Kendal for honoring dear Jane. Jane thank you for being you- inspiring us, uniting us, appreciating so many.

PS- An American Marriage is worth the read AND after talking with colleagues and haring from the author- Silver Sparrow is now on my list to read.

No comments: