Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Music to transition the seasons AND holy hospitality feature.

A real weekend- a wonderful, fabulous weekend.  Ahhhhh- two trips to the Farmers Market on Saturday- I felt rushed with Joe, enjoyed going together but I went back to just take my time.  I made gazpacho.  I went to yoga- ahhhh. We went to the lake and enjoyed family time- truly relaxed, even napped!  We swam across the lake.

Okay- another Life on Newark-Granville Best/ Favorite/ Top Pick- we've been doing it for years now- Swim the Lake. And most of the time we are greeted on the other side with incredible hospitality. Often on a Sunday so I'm calling it holy hospitality.  It started when we met at Nutcracker auditions in Newark.  How could it be the person I just met and we both wanted to leave ASAP to get Apple Valley. She had a new lake house directly across the lake from the Westerville Leithauser's home.  So we swam over- search the blog and you'll see more about this. And we've done it over and over and each time we are treated like royalty. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, towels and snacks!  The kids love it- jumping from the top deck. We catch up with one another- their kids have gone to college and graduated.  We don't stay long, we don't give much notice but we are loved, welcomed and provided the perfect respite.  Then we go back.  Thank you so much Wagners for this awesome summer touchpoint.  I just love it and love how the family loves it too!  Then.....

Club time- beautiful wonderful Moundbuilders Club time.  The place where we've made dear dear friends and enjoyed countless hours as a family.  We love the staff and beautiful beloved surroundings of the mounds, trees and quiet neighborhood.  There is a lot of press out there about the return of the property to the Ohio Connection, the movement for it to be a UNESCO site.  We've been to amazing UNESCO sites and agree Newark has a very special historic place. It is unfortunate things have not progressed in simpler ways.  A new club and location could be exciting and fun.  Joe is part of club leadership. I'm grateful for today's leaders serving our institution.  I've heard the presentations on the history and it is amazing.  Amazing is also where the burial mounds were (Moundbuilders are ceremonial not burial) and what is there now.  Amazing is how the club has preserved the space. Amazing is what preceded the golf course. Amazing are the friendships and safe place the club has been in my life on Newark-Granville Road for 14 years.  We joined when Sally was born.   There is more to the story that was in the Columbus Magazine Sept issue, as always.   Disagree with me- I respect your side, please respect mine and be grateful the land and mounds are there as they are now.  And know MCC is alive and well- great social gatherings planned for the year and know when I golf the beautiful space I'm grateful for those who have gone before us.  As Joe says the space was created for recreation and fellowship- that intent has been and is honored.


Now for the music....I hope I've set the tone- amazing weekend. Now it is Monday evening.  The weekend was filled with friend time, family time, catch-up time, relaxing time.  Monday evening I felt as I believe my girls do leaving camp. Happy for the memories, sad for it to be over.  Summer sigh, summer's ending.  The pool time wasn't as frequent this year- golf filled in, active exercise, so my melancholy may have been a bit of grief. Grief of what has been and what could be as things end. All lovely but changing.  I love when the radio provides the perfect soundtrack- It Must Have Been Love by Roxette was on the radio as I drove home from a Whit's run with the kids in the convertible. Beautiful moon, perfect temps, happy but sad.  Not sure there could have been a more fitting way to launch the summer farewell.

And then Tuesday am- September by Earth, Wind and Fire pumped me up for the new week and season on its way.  Again in the convertible with perfect temperature, sun shining, roof down.  Life on Newark-Granville Road with music- join me in a sing-along and dance party, feel the beat of what has been and is coming.

No comments: