Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2019

Books for the Year- Discussing Books at CVH launches 19-20

What a delightful, special evening that simply does not disappoint. I'm amazed at how well we know what to do.  Highlights of the evening:
1. I knew when I sent the email describing our process I left something out- the classics, we always pick a classic. How could I forget.  I was reminded and we were laughing about it and a bit worried about one member not having been as regular last year.  We said- what if she doesn't come, who will pick the classic? And as if on queue, she walked in the door!
2. The food! Sally said- is it book club night? I woke up thinking it was and it made my day. I was thinking about those cookies and treats all day. We now share recipes as part of our evening.
3. The friendships. We've been doing this for well over 15 years. Not everyone and we've certainly shifted but a core group and great new group is really bonding and connecting. Such good women unite. Oh it is fun when folks chime in from the past!! Hint hint love to hear from others!!
5. The process- we talk giggle, share honestly and openly and get it done!We track it- we have a spread sheet that lists books back to 2004 reading. We have the assignments for the year and the recommendations.
6. The books- that is what is about, and we do talk books.  No one recommended Where the Crawdad's Sing?  During a break we took a poll- I think everyone had read it.  We should have just discussed it.  A Gentleman in Moscow made it from the recommend list to the assigned list- wow! Every book that is recommended sounds Great- it is going to be a good year.

Life on Newark-Granville Road- I say it every year, this night is special and appreicated and productive!  Want the list? Want to be on the distribution list- just let me know! We are open and welcoming- another special part of this group. It may take some time to get the gist and we may not be for everyone but if you want to give it a try- join us on the 1st Monday of the month.  We go back to Cherry Valley Lodge Oct 7th!

2 comments:

Jenny Orten said...

Oh, miss you all so much! There is nothing like this book club!

SSLeithauser said...

And we miss you and remember fondly our time together!!!!