Search This Blog

Saturday, January 4, 2020

What is a TreeWhisper?! Find out January 10-March 1 @ Dawes!

I grew up with Sundays not just a church day, but it was also hike day or if the weather was too cold- drive day. Thank you Mom and Dad for these outings.  A key accompaniment to these experiences- trees.  Most hikes were in the forest or woods.  Often we were along the C  & O towpath, lined by trees.  Even when we traversed a farmers field my mind does not recall not seeing trees.  As I type I realize this could be inspiration for a treewhispers round!  Oh, how I've enjoyed the opportunity create these rounds with dear friend and neighbor Amanda Love!  Amanda is the current Artist in Residence at Dawes and has facilitated the Treewhispers exhibit and experiences.

https://dawesarb.org/treewhispers/   Dear readers- I hope you will follow this link and learn more about the Treewhispers exhibit at Dawes Arboretum- the opening reception for members is this Friday evening- Jan 10th! Join us. Not a member? Join now to support a very special community gem and be in the know and have unlimited access to this hallowed ground.    I've been fascinated by Amanda's work and benefited by attending a few of the sessions.  Friday will be a very special evening and I'm looking forward to meeting  Treewhispers Co-Creator, Pamela Paulsrud.  I'm going to do my best to attend her artists talk on Saturday, Dec 11 at 1 pm.  There is so much more to say about what is happening with Treewhispers, I won't do it justice here.

On the Treewhipers website: https://treewhispers.com we are told this experience/exhibit is "Awakening the Stories within us" and this is true for me. What a gift it has been and will continue to be to reflect and ponder so much good from trees in my life on and off Newark-Granville Road. I took a peek back on the blog by searching "tree" so many posts! Too many around Christmas- although the evergreen symbol and tradition is an important one in my life.  I wondered if I'd find mention of the beautiful elm that was close to the point where three proprieties meet in our yard. Oh how we miss that tree, it may have been the most beautiful tree.   The tree had died and needed to be taken down. The day it came down was a sad day, and the universe concurred as it as the same day of Bob Seith's funeral.  But that tree's existence brought joy and shade and a home to so many things- it lived a purposeful life and no doubt the wood went on to have an impact.  Another incredible thing about trees- how they do give and give, transform and transfix!  This is a special component of the Treewhisper experience- making paperrounds with tree/wood pulp-or using one made by an artist and then sharing a tree connection with art.

Our community is and will continue to benefit from Treewhispers-this opportunity to participate with art, nature, creating, remembering, reflecting and sharing anchored by trees and artists- is special and good for the body, brain and soul.  Again I cannot do justice to all this exhibit offers, teaches and inspires.  Thank you Amanda for your work, time, care and talent.  Thank you Dawes and staff for hosting and offering all you do.  I look forward to Friday's launch and the next few months with Treewhispers in our community.

I realize some of this may not be translating.  Treewhispers didn't click for me until I attended a session.  Actually fortunate for me my first session was with children.  Amanda and Dawes took the experience to the Boys and Girls Club of Newark, a very memorable day for me in my life on Newark-Granville Road!  I hope you will attend a session yourself and here is how! From the Dawes website:

Tree Whispers Sessions

Monday, January 20 | 1-3pm or

Friday, February 14 | 1-3pm or

Saturday, February 29 | 1-3pm or

Sunday, March 1 | 1-3pm

Included with Admission

Come join Amanda Love, Treeswhispers contributor and Dawes Arboretum’s current artist in residence, and share your tree story with us! Once again, you’re invited to join the forest by decorating your flat handmade paper round with your tree story, poetry and/or art. Register for one of these sessions on our calendar.

Be sure to visit local artist, Treewhispers ambassador and Dawes Arboretum artist in residence Amanda Love during her residency on Tuesdays and Fridays from 12 to 2pm through March 17. Stop by the And Education Center, and learn about the Arboretum inspired art she is creating. Please note, Amanda’s studio will be closed on November 29 and December 23 – January 10.
A long post- and I'll end with a quote about a tree! For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. Martin Luther
Pictures from time with Treewhispers- the experiences continue to enrich and inspire!  Coming soon

No comments: