Search This Blog

Monday, March 30, 2020

Blood is Needed- Close to my Heart

https://www.redcrossblood.org  There is an extreme shortage of blood right now- supply and demand are impacted by our pandemic state due to the COVID-19 virus.  This link: Give Blood will take you to the Red Cross site to find a donation center that will safely support you leaving your home to give blood.  Please take a look, go on line or call 1-800-733-2767 to schedule an appointment, ask questions.  My father receives blood every week for his MDS and last week he was only able to receive one unit, he usually has two.  He is weak and needs the two units. He is just one example of someone in critical need of blood.

I have been giving blood for years- I remember it really kicking into gear in Omaha, NE. The hospitals there needed plasma and I was single and had time so I could kick back and relax while doing good.  Now I do my best to get to a drive-in town- at the high school or at Denison.  As we all rethink priorities (a stay at home/reset can do that) being a blood donor is moving to the top of my passions.  I'm inspired by our dear friend, bonus daughter, Charlotte Mattimoe who has advocated for quite some time and been a stellar volunteer for the Red Cross. Charlotte's philanthropic leadership is close to my heart just as she is.

Thank you for spreading the word, giving if you can.  You have to 18 or older or have parental consent.  Peter and Clare have never been able to give- they will go this week. I'll help them.  Joe has not been able to give in some time- fingers crossed he'll be eligible- he traveled in Europe but that was years ago. He too has an appointment this week.  Life on Newark- Granville Road is grateful for all that give and share energy.  We'll take your prayers for my Dad and Mom- the stress of the health care situation exacerbates the situation as well.






No comments: