Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Getting to Know One Another...

Cue the music....Getting to know you, getting to know all about you....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MNANgFCYpk  Thank you Rodgers and Hammerstein for this show tune from the1951 musical The King and I. Yes, that is what we're doing here in our life on Newark-Granville Road and I'm sure you all are doing the same in new ways!  Students and faculty, students and students- Denison, Wooster, Granville High, even Wabash.  Peter will sit in on-line tomorrow for a class and he is excited.  I appreciate the opportunity to see my colleagues in their home settings, meet their dogs, see their kids- we're all getting to know one another in new ways!

From the land of work from home....routines have yet to be established here.  I read the advice about wfh routines being important.  I'm being a bit of a Scarlette O'Hara - will think about that tomorrow- or next week.  With the kids on their spring break it does not feel right to work all day. When I moved to the development profession and met with a seasoned pro, she told me one of the reasons she loved the work: every day is different.  When working with people, building relationships you never quite know how it is going to go.  And she said if I didn't like this type of ambiguity it might not be a fit. Well, development is a fit for me, ten years later I can agree with her- you never quite know what the day will bring.  That describes this pandemic world so very well!

Of course, we have some routines- Lucy, the dog, has routines of going out and being fed that align with ours. We all do eat approximately three times a day.  Peter I think eats six times a day. Breakfast has been light but we do make coffee.  Coffee and scotch are probably what we have in largest supply.  Lets hope the bean grinder doesn't go caput.   Last week felt like prep week- I inventoried all our food and organized the pantry.  I even inventoried the booze. It was driving me nuts not knowing what was where and having things out of order.   We made the meal plan for the week and made a big grocery shop on Saturday.  I love knowing what is for dinner and having this prep time.

I had put off organizing my workspace- not sure why.  This did happen Sunday and took until Monday.  A bit more to do at the micro-level.  I think I was holding out that I would be able to return to my office. The other side of all of this is learning to know what we miss.  I am missing Beth Eden. I am missing travel.  This does not mean I don't love being home and being grounded- I can embrace this now and love getting to know my family in new ways.

A short post today, not much really to share. The to-dos are long and waiting.  Thank you for reading and sharing. I hope you all are enjoying all the ways you are getting to know one another!

No comments: