Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2020

August Energy- 2020

"I can hear it in your voice, happy energy" my friend said catching up with me while I was taking a slight break from Denison work yesterday.  Work that included unloading belongings stored in our basement after the impromptu vacate in March.  Work that allowed me to see first-hand the check-in during COVID process executed by impressive colleagues.  Work that took by the most beautiful wildflowers growing by the new road.  Work that connected me with seniors and parents moving into the "sunnies" and gave me the view of the new Silverstein Hall.  Yes, we all had masks and we kept our distance.

I typed this morning to a parent who shared where he put his energy these few days moving in two sons.  I wish I could have the bird's view- the aerial view of Granville and check in on all the connecting happening- the energy is bright, Granville is glowing.  It was different, a bit reserved but still radiating love, care, concern, happiness, relief, fear, confidence and so much more.  I wish I could have been in more places, old favorites (the Inn in stand-up mode, moving table to table, person to person) stopping by a res hall to check in on a beloved friend or meeting a daughter of a classmate. I do love hearing how time was spent in Granville- Facebook helps a bit and at the same time reinforces what is missed.

My director said- I see you are energized as I shared my plans for "move-in meetings" and introductions, as well as reconnections over Google Meet.  The energy it takes to plan, the energy it gives when organized, the energy produced when we come together.  Life on Newark-Granville this week has been all about Denison for me.  Clare, Sally and Joe supporting in ways requiring energy too- behind the scene heroes really.  Sally delivering lunch to my desk, Joe loading Martha and Clare making sure Sally was where she needed to be and not alone for dinner Friday night. I was so confused on what day it was- Thursday's move in often is on a Sunday so I thought we were in weekend mode and did confuse folks. (Although it was all in "the book").  The energy of who goes where when- COVID times-I can't even answer when Sally goes back to school! She knows and I know it isn't this week.  Day by day, week by week, bird by bird.... each bird takes and gives energy in my life on Newark-Granville Road.

Positive and negative energy- attracts! Reflecting on this I like it.  I have felt and given negative and positive this week.  I'm grateful for the conversation and patient ears when I'm sharing frustration- this time of year and effort takes energy and produces stress even in nonCOVID times. I'm missing the energy produced from hugs of hello, welcome home, thank you, so good to be together, how are you, I know.... human touch produces so much important energy, the giving and receiving is so important, vital.  We're finding our way- we're connecting in conversation through masks, time together with space between, elbow bumps (probably shouldn't) but some of us just crave and need it- hardwired.  Pushing away and pulling together- energy- COVID energy, August energy, start-up energy.... yup we're glowing on Newark-Granville Road.

(thanks to all asking about Peter. We've had limited texts but all seems good!)

Oh and how do I recharge?  I take a walk in the rain to the farmer's market. I was craving a swim, the water from the sky quenched a thirst.  I talk to my best friend and partner. I cuddle with Lucy. I linger in the evening until dark with friends- outside. I curl up with a book on the porch. I call my mother. I embrace the sit and wait time. I find quiet. I pray. I embrace on-line worship. I arrange flowers from the farmers market. I cook. I breathe. I swing a golf club and walk in the green.

No comments: