Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2018

A rainy Sunday is a good day to knock on doors.  Why were we knocking on doors today? We were asking for support for the Granville Schools on the November 6th ballot. What do you learn when you knock on neighbor's doors and ask a political question?  Here are my take aways:

1. We don't know enough of our neighbors.  So I'm calling the folks in the cup-du-sac-ish area our neighbors- we could walk there. Everyone says we know everyone in Granville. I think we knew three people that answered the door and maybe recognized only a few more names.
2. It was really nice to talk to people in our neighborhood.  We met some fantastic people.  It was good to say hello to those we do know.  We liked saying thank you to those with signs for the school levy in their yard.
3.  I miss having a dog, Joe isn't there yet. It was nice to pet a few today!
4. I appreciate those that took the time to answer the door.  We were quick with our message- "we're here today asking for your support."  We heard opposition and listened, we understand- we don't like to pay more taxes either.  There were a fair amount on those streets with early voters. Most people told us they had voted for us- we're not sure that is true or not, maybe they were being nice. I'd rather hear the "why not yes".
5. I'm really proud and appreciate Joe's passion and commitment to our schools and this effort.
I hope you saw "our" letter in the Granville Sentinel.https://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/news/local/2018/10/19/readers-give-their-views-upcoming-election/1651503002/  Joe wrote it.  I provided minor edits.  I did point him a direction to get information.  The reality is I needed his perspective, his math and look at the numbers and I was glad he could attend the meeting to learn more. School funding isn't simple.  He came away more convinced we needed the last levy and as a result of that not passing, now this levy.  I listened to him defend his point of view today- our schools need this funding, cuts will be required, our property values are connected to our strong schools.  Want to learn more about the Granville School Levy on the ballot and why we need it, why our schools are #worthit visit this site:  https://www.granvilleaces.org   or reach out- Joe and I will be happy to talk about it, answer questions.
6.  Rainy Sundays are good day to knock on doors- lots of football on the TV.
7. I always like to walk with Joe.
8. I just may be more interested in opening the door when people knock and I know they're there to talk politics.  I've now walked their shoes and will listen. I appreciated the thanks we received today.
9. I'm ready for Halloween and trick-or-treat...the memories came flooding back...and I was a tiny bit thirsty!
10. I really like where we live. And not just because...great people live here and we are close to town, able to walk and ride bikes, get the kids to and from activities, to work for me and to fabulous Denison activities easily.  I like the schools.  We know our kids will be prepared for college. Clare in her selection process sat in on classes and feels ready. We have partners with the teachers.  They're safe and cared for by awesome teachers.  Is it perfect - no, do I have some ideas and thoughts- yes, but it is worth every tax dollar we pay, every check we write for beyond and we're willing to pay more- not just for our kids but for the communities.  Extra thank you to those that don't have kids in the school that feel the same way. Thank you for being here and adding perspective and being in relationship with us and being directly or indirectly in my life on Newark-Granville Road.

No comments: