Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2018

Birthday Figure Eights

If you read this blog enough, you know I believe life is figure eights.  There are many circles and cycles and even squiggles that create the patterns of our lives.  Birthdays are special figure eights, birthdays as a mother all the more rewarding.  Today, Clare's 18th birthday, has had me thinking back on that amazing day and event.  Joe and I  have been retelling the story to one another reflecting on where we where in 2000 as September turned to October and we became a family of three.  When our family took on new roles: grandparents, aunts and uncles, godparents, mother, father.  Clare likes to confirm the story and I'm eager to share.

I really need an index for LONGR.  I've printed these blogs for prosperity.  What I cannot recall is what stories have been documented and how many times.  I'm all about fair and would certainly want to make sure if I'm going to tell or even retell Clare's birth day tale, I've done the same for the others. Life is not fair and is not intentionally unfair.  No doubt you know Peter's story as he arrived as a 60th birthday gift for Pap and an Easter basket item for Clare. Sally's ice storm shell game was one for the record books.  And since it is Clare's 18th I'm delighting in the reflection.

Clare's birthday story really starts with her due date of September 30th.  Ann and Scott threw a party to celebrate.  No, but their annual Octoberfest party was the day and I was pleased to attend.  I remember someone inquiring about my birth status,  Ann pointed to me very pregnant me saying- there she is.  The September 30th due date had many sharing commentary on if the baby would go to school or not- Kindergarten, yes we're a family of planners.  Clare's October 1st arrival eliminated a decision.  We were ready for our baby- what brought labor? The mulitple flights to the top floor of the Ohio Theater to see the Magic Flute?  Sauerkraut and bratwurst?  Who knows.  I remember like it was yesterday the 3 am wake up, knowing something was different. Returning to sleep only to be awoken by this unique and exciting sensation.  At 4 I called the doctor who told me I was welcome to come in or try to rest and make my way around 7.  Joe was in need of more sleep and I was happy to put some order to our nest.  I went downstairs and tidied, took care of to-dos for the next few days, then showered- waking Joe up after 6 to make our way to Riverside.  Once we were settled in, my water broken and an approximate time established I called my parents and sister.  Sarah made her way to Hagerstown and they headed west.  Labor moved quickly so Joe had to call and say- slow down- the baby will be here before you can.  Dr. Kelly thought he'd have time to go home for lunch, it was not the case.  By 1:15 Clare Catherine had joined the world.  We had three names selected for each sex, as soon as I held her I knew she was my CC, my baby girl....Joe let me name her.  Caroline and Elizabeth just did not fit our brown eyed, brown haired beauty.

Her godmother, godfather, aunts, grandmother and grandfather- named Pap and Nana (by Clare) arrived and promptly fell head over heels in love.  I enjoyed my time in the hospital - soaking up the change in pace from work and embraced our family of three.  I always have and always will love babies. Joe gave me a beautiful rolling ring of three bands intertwined, to celebrate and represent how we had become just that- I wear it daily with my wedding band and engagement ring.  Beer and pizza was day one fun, scotch and appetizers day two....we made quite the little party on the 5th floor.

I truly remember and enjoy this reflecting figure eight- over and over I like to recall this beautiful happy birth day!  Life on Newark-Granville Road has been something all these 17 years.  We celebrated Clare's 1st birthday with an Open House here- launching our social scene on NG Road.  October 1st always brings the true feeling of fall and a day worth reliving.  I love you dear Clare- you are smart, hardworking, gritty, loyal and all you. I love you,  your family loves you. You make us proud and we value all you share.  Eighteen is the start of something fabulous and new...enjoy the figure eights on and off Newark-Granville Road.
Clare at Camp Alleghany 2018- JCs in their purple.

No comments: