Search This Blog

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Saturday Reflection on 50th Birthday Wrap-Up

Rainy, gray day- matches the mood for a memorial service.  It is still hard to believe Mary Jane McDonald is no longer just down the street....Broadway.  She always lived there in my life on NG Road.  I met MJ when I went to work at Denison in 1999, just before she retired. Timing is everything and time was on my side.  It was an honor and incredible opportunity to witness first hand this special leader in action.  No doubt about it MJ's commitment and example connect to my pride in my own work and the impact of our alma mater.

I was also lucky to call her my friend.  She served our community so well. We shared love of good things: cooking, Ina Garten receipes, SCOTCH, books, entertaining and community involvement. Today's memorial service had wonderful sentiment shared by her family and dear friends- they said it best. She was remarkable and I'm lucky to have been coached and mentored by her and I was not alone.  Just reading her obituary is inspiring, she leaves a beautiful legacy in so many ways.
https://www.mcpeekhoekstra.com/notices/MaryJane-JaggerMcDonald?fbclid=IwAR1wBdJEkvXAITvOWRRt3uKDhk_YHt-_MdO4H4ooah6P5io8jIPU7-qR4VI  I love that she voted in this election, despite the end being near.


Last week we were in Kentucky.  It was a very special long-weekend that started in Louisville with wonderful learning experiences- hands-on and tasty!  I toured my first bourbon distillery and was quite impressed- history, science and art.  Touring the KY Derby museum was a treat and something I've always wanted to do as every winter I place my party order from there!  In 1997 I attended the Derby, what a treat to return to Churchhill Downs on a less crowded day.  The purpose of the trip was taking a hat making class with Derby Millner, Jenny Gerst Pfanenstiel- check her and her incredible hats out at: https://www.facebook.com/formemillinery/?eid=ARDjykkzWctb8gzCOAWBdQtaocsvYU4uk_ZnVkSJJDl7XRdHrI1colJZF3zDngXmhDQgiKPhZvRbWB5h&timeline_context_item_type=intro_card_work&timeline_context_item_source=685196116&fref=tag  It was a cherished day of creativity and friendship.  Louisville's restaurants and lounges were quite the treat! Lots of happy toasting in my life off of NG Road!  Three cheers for the last official birthday get-away!  The cheering continued as we met families at Keeneland in Lexington, making it an overnight trip. A favorite fall destination was a treat to share with our Granville group.

Work took me to the west coast- Tuesday to Friday was about Denison with some me-time that included reading two books, one by Denison alumnus, James Clear- see earlier post.  Innovation- Rothy's and nature's beauty- ocean and trees, crashing waves, woodsy scent- senses sensations. The highlight is the people- Denisonians are special all over the world.  My flight was on time to get me home for execution of the last birthday gift.  Joe bought me tickets at the Midland to see Dan Tyminski.  What a fantastic way to be welcomed home- dinner and a show, night cap and juke box sing along at The Draft House.

Fun times in KY- PLEASE! THANKYOU!
Thank you all for the incredible care to make turing 50 so very special- starting way back in May! It is Saturday and I'm in love with my life on NG Road

Pictures tell the story....
Clare is 18 - place your bets!


Yes, last race- Sally won!

Final product! Creative Caps!

how we started! Hats made at Forme!
class in session

breakfast at the Brown Hotel! Cheers.


No comments: