Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Greetings from Under the Tree

I am not actually under the tree, I was watering the tree and did pause there.  It is cool and quiet but messy.  The sap, the needles, the view of the light strings but outside of that mess is beautiful.  Christmas is messy, life is messy.

God Bless This Mess- title of the sermon on Sunday at FPC: https://www.granpres.org/sermons/2019/12/16/dayybipjnbg4h0cb91mscw7d7tnyk2  Love it, live with it, be inspired by it- it is the mess.  And yes the mess makes me grateful for God, my faith, church, family, friends and health.  The sermon discusses the fight or flight reaction of our brains.  I'm fascinated by this and saw it in action during the ice storm of 2004- the Christmas I was pregnant (with Sally) and shared that state with so many people.  I saw it in action on Saturday night when we heard the tree (just decorated during a family at home, Clare picked a favorite dinner night) crash. Right on cue- the Home Alone movie had just had a big crash and truly we all jumped and then heard through the ceiling a very interesting sound- three of five rushed upstairs someone saying- the tree.  I sat frozen, then Sally took my hand and we went up to see- yes the poor tree.  Yes a mess, yes we all got it figured it out. It was not my finest moment- messy, behind the scenes is what you get in this blog- Life on Newark-Granville Road is messy. I blamed Joe for the stand- this was the second fall by the way.  We're laughing now- sweet Sally- Mom we didn't lose that many ornaments?  My reply- I have three heads and a wing?  Really?  And she is right in the grand scheme not that many shattered and some even fixable.

It is like the view from under that tree- it is cool, it is far from perfect, it is real and it is beautiful.  I'll stop for now but do want to share two things connected to FPC....

1st- Christmas Eve- you are welcome, encouraged to join us for worship.  1st Pres- brown church on the northwest corner of Broadway and College in Granville.  4:30  6:30  9 pm services
Kids, Lessons and Carols and Communion services- each unique, each gorgeous and yes each crowded- we'll make room.  https://www.granpres.org/calendar

2nd- FPC a dear friend coordinate and leads this learning opportunity.  If you have any interest or know someone that may, there is a preview class on Jan 5- 12:30-1.  The full course will start Jan 12 2-4 pm for 9 weeks.

Coming in January!
Free Preview Class on Sunday, January 5 from  12:30-1 PM
Fees: $90 for individuals or couples
Call Tony Owen for more information (419) 722-5672

No comments: