Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2019

Just In Time December

Who would have thought my ten-year career with Federal-Mogul would prepare me so well for motherhood in December!  Overheard at the work Christmas gathering- me sharing this logic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming  and https://leankit.com/learn/lean/what-is-just-in-time-manufacturing/  Real life approach to my life on Newark-Granville Road in December.
For instance:

-Mail Stoner Christmas Package- focus on those gifts, then wrap, then box, then ship.  Check!
-However didn't included birthday gift, realize this night before special birthday.
-Night before special birthday- on-line order of delivery- Check!  Family memories around conversation and process to order!
-Mail Christopher Package- focus those gifts, then wrap, then box, then ship. One item can't arrive in time to go in a package from Granville- no worries, ship direct. Check! Check!
-New Years Cards plan- not Christmas, one year we did Valentine's cards- take the card's picture when all kids home and available- check!
-Connect with friend about getting together, after reviewing calendar- Sat the 21 was available- friend consults with husband- we make it work. Special gathering time with new friends and our families- check!
-Download and order New Year's Cards- option to arrive on Dec 31- giving me the week of continued Christmas and early in New Year to send-JIT New Years Christmas! Check.
-Gifts for the week- who will open on the 25th- working on those- Joe and I got out today and made sure we're even!
-Who opens on the 27th- working on that....hmmmm may even pick up one more thing on the 26th- think Sale!!


Okay, the reality is it doesn't always work- Friday was the day of forgets. I thought it was still December xteen and I had time.  A party that was often on the 23rd was moved and I missed it.  Sally's dress I thought I ordered- I didn't.  The basketball pie process for delivery had some oops and oh how I love how well customers understood and accepted these oops!  Clare and Sally ended up finding Sally a different outfit and it made up for the non-ordered dress and they had sister time.  There is so much to do in December it just can't be done and JIT is what works for me.

Just in Time also feels like Just when you need it.  Just when the stress of the to-dos, it is time to be. Be with friends, family and the love of the season.  I'm feeling it.  The joy of finding these gifts and moments. Our work lunch felt like time stood still- we just lingered and talked around the table.  The same has happened in so many beautiful gatherings this past week to celebrate the season together.  Even the to-dos in December bring joy and peace and that is what JIT seems to provide for me.  It is a type of mindfulness.

It is the eve of the eve and we're geared up for a very special day in our life on Newark-Granville Road.  We'll keep the tradition of skating started by dear friends going- join us if you can- noon- Gib and Lou Reese Ice Arena in Newark!

No comments: