Search This Blog

Thursday, April 23, 2020

The gifts from my father.

Below is the link to the obituary for my amazing Dad- Michael Watson Stoner.  I could type for hours about the gifts he provided.  I've shared many of them along the way on this blog, more recently as we've prepared for his death.  As I gather these thoughts I realize he prepared me for this time in history!!

  • Go for a walk in the woods.... not surprising he enjoyed Bill Bryson's book with the same title and really enjoyed Bryson's new book- The Body- a gift I game him to promote Denison family fun.
  • Denison!   It was my parents that pointed me to our fair college on the hill!  Daddy said- you don't know what you want to be professionally, you need a liberal arts school.  Mom said- let’s stop at Denison as we go out to Ohio- I've always heard good things.  (I had thought another school would be a fit- Mom knew best.  She had looked at Wooster when she was looking herself but ended up at Maryville, near Daddy at Virginia Tech!)
  • Love good food and try new menu items...okay sorry Daddy- we're going to be careful on this one- no bats! Covid humor!?!  My love of seafood- oysters, crab, ceviche....and ritual food- sitting around the table and talking while picking crabs or cooking fondue.
  • Scotch! Often I'm asked where did you learn to drink scotch? The answer- when I made my Dad's drinks I'd take a taste and I liked it!  When I graduated from college we discussed cocktails hour preferences- he encouraged me to try scotch.  I never looked back!  Is it 5 pm yet?
  • His beloved quote- The Best gift a father can give his children- love their mother.!  And oh, he did!  This is the foundation for our family, and I love how my mother loved him. Their marriage mattered and they included us in incredible family times and commitment.  You're seen this on the blog with vacations to the beach, holiday time and special celebrations like their 50th reunion almost five years ago.
  • He always encouraged us to be creative and use our imagination. He shared his love of art, music, reading and conversation. He was a lifelong learner and modeled this for u


Life on Newark-Granville Road, thank you Daddy.

No comments: