Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2020

4th of July 2020 Musings

First- the midway is open- way to go Scott at Three Tigers in Granville- Boozy Lemon Shake-Ups and other fun foods.  AND proceeds benefit Granville Kiwanis!   Check it out- follow them on FB:
https://www.facebook.com/threetigersbrewing/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARCx7kMopdZ9ipLt26ArdtkdYbqJjG66wOba220wE-kPUN801QC9gfZnqPtb5ngPJuutUxym3F3_-S80


So, it is not our usual 4th but we'll get by....hang on to family and friends and traditions in new ways- like above- innovation is what our country is all about.  I was able to participate in our annual "swim across the lake" at Apple Valley.  It was different- I drove up (and saw the sunrise and fog on fields - ahh) and we had real swimmers with us- guests- adults - so fun! A new chapter and approach.  I loved it as I love to share happiness.  And oh, it felt good - the water is silky, it is a great temp and it was exercise- great sense of accomplishment. Special shout out to Cate and Caroline for representing the kids! Good to sit and catch up with Scott and Ann - Friday morning coffee chat- ahhhh- holiday time!  And for my convertible drive back- cue the song- VACATION by the Go-Gos....ah you might have heard me singing along!



Speaking of not your usual 4th of July....I have a midterm due- no I'm not due at the "midway"- midterm.  I'm learning about stress and planning, reading and studying and learning.  This particular class is really going well- Ethics of Philanthropy. It takes me a bit. I have to re-read and reflect. Talking about it with friends and family and during zoom office hours has been really good for me.  I carved out time and made great progress. Now the finishing touches so I can hit submit and really enjoy the rest of the holiday...and my birthday!

Mom is here and it is so nice to have her.  We'll hit the golf course- we're both working on our game and it is a fun place for quality time. I'm reciprocating when she hosted me at FHCC!  Then we'll continue with family time for the 4th!  Life is figure eights- I found a great picture of her with my kids and our nieces/nephew I'll post out here.  It isn't the same but it is similar. We're called to and from places and people. It is good to look back and smile and be happy with what is here now.

Speaking of family time- FPC has a big day tomorrow for our church family. We say farewell to Tripp Porch.  I'm so excited for his new call in Columbus. He has served us well and we've learned, evolved and grown together.  Join the gatherings:
-9 am outdoor service at Bryn Du with Centenary- lawn chair/blanket, masks and a yard stick or tool to help you social distance!
-10 am streamed service- I just reviewed the order or worship- it will beautiful! https://www.granpres.org/livestream
-1:30 line up for the parade to wish him well. We'll meet at DU Mitchell parking off Pearl and then caravan over to the church for 2 pm send-off.   So much more to say about these components- outside worship- woo hoo or I should say- Amen!

So much more I could share. Life on Newark-Granville Road has been busy- yes I'm working during COVID- this week was a good week to start the wrap-up Denison fiscal year and the Unlocking Campaign.  I also took time for a girl’s trip with my girls- Clare and Sally. We visited one of my happy places. I did some work there- why not work from a beautiful place in the mountains.  Why not take pool time to read the book club book! Why not substitute camp time 2020 with Mother-Daughter time in Greenbrier county?!

I'll wrap up these musings with commentary on growth. I heard a great NPR interview with a professor from Yale sharing America's founding and the reminder we're still growing and evolving.  It was far from perfect in 1776 and that is still true today. We watched Hamilton last night on Disney Plus- ahhhh- amazing for so many reasons. The innovation, excellent storytelling through music, dance, costumes, acting, performing, sharing, creating, presenting, reflecting and retelling. The arts are such a part of the 4th of July and America. I look back to last year and the disappointment of not seeing the MD Symphony at Antietam due to weather- sigh....but we were together with my Dad, enjoying his "recipe". This year we're with my Mom and Joe's family and grateful for what we have and how we're growing in our life on Newark-Granville Road.  We're not perfect and we're in the midst of some really tough stuff. In our life on NGR we're committed to learn and grow together and grateful for the opportunity to do so- Let Freedom Ring!


No comments: