Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2020

June 1, 2020- Pausing to reflect

It is June 1- new and fresh month.  In Granville things are opening and I'm supporting local and this movement for the economy as best I can.  I took a yoga class in the studio today- ahhhhhhh- I can breathe.

George Floyd could not breathe.  I pause and think of him.  I can't stop thinking about what his death represents and has launched. How can this keep happening?

During this whole stay at home time I've wondered- why hasn't the world stopped for mental health. The teenage suicide rate is horrible, terrifying. It is an important topic at work and it has stopped our lives, we've paused to remember AND we've continued to carry these beautiful lives with us to keep talking, walking and thinking.

Now with our world slowed down we're again forced to pause and remember George Floyd and way too many others that live in fear. Acknowledge the racism in our world, community, families, selves.  I won't say the right thing here and I live in that fear. I have questions and want to discuss it. We are discussing it at our dinner table, in our book club, at work AND it isn't enough.

The environment is thanking us for slowing down and pausing AND I'm grateful and finding comfort  and inspiration in the outdoors, sunshine and the heavens!  Way to go SpaceX, NASA on the successful launch on Saturday.

I had me time this weekend. I went to see my mother- she is doing great. I'm so proud of her. We all miss Daddy And our lives are continuing AND we're supporting the grief and adjustment, the disruption.  And I had time with my sister and her dear family- we had hardshell crabs on the back deck- ahhhhh- summer is here and happy times do exist.  

I had car time that gave me pause to learn about what is happening in the world with the riots and to think.  I had car time to escape- NPR had the best piece on EELS!  Who would have thought- fascinating- this story has it all- mystery, history, research, laughterhttps://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/silky-love  Do yourself a favor and tune in on your next walk or drive or?

My life on Newark-Granville road figure eights- overlaps.  I'm reading Aristotle for my grad school class and Artistotle is in this article.  It is book club night and we're discussing a beautiful book on mental health and teens, published in 2008- The Shape of Water by Anne Spollen, not the book/movie a few years ago. For work we're connecting with my Denison classmate, David Howitt about the Power of 'And' or the Tyranny of 'Or'..... reading his insights on Friday was the backdrop to my car time reflection, conversation with my mother and sister and Joe.  So much of we're doing and contemplating, wrestling with goes back to the AND/OR rub. I want the world to stop so we can fix things and keep everyone safe and loved.  In the world of the pandemic that is impossible as we need health care workers and sanitation workers and business owners to survive and our mental health to be healthy and we need to breathe and be safe.  None of it is easy, I'm thinking, praying and holding so many and so much in my heart.  

So much more to say...our church worship service - FPC- did a great job from the opening prayer and perspective that pulled me in during this unsettling times to the music to the sermon-and what a sermon Karen- ahhttps://www.granpres.org  to reading Columbus Foundation's statement about our world where George Floyd can't breathe and die. https://www.facebook.com/TheColumbusFoundation/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARD0vJoKE8aOMQvvQiF4Icsc7q4AtzeaYtycOI-J5EZJyDLCJxcWspRPjsaKoJHUbBvLRRANKAFYO2Xj&hc_ref=ARQVoQTWeuuLwjEYl2yALsHjrTiLYl5GCVI7UxkB0tvalsJXnBIy_iXOqejYQ1lFyNs&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBX1nKXuf0XoG9ik9GiIkqfpchzRPJ_Af8o_5wwdGeQZxjSD2uTKH5TbupuClKmXJiwvjLOlFHeOMlaRExTnsBt6Q76qh8LL9wMxYS9nryZNBwrTwlHWNCnTwVt61Y7NnqCqqgv6YOCXMN28RlwECgSbRWEbmo4mTOoa0R4p1cifmt4upBWFUvP6aRZ6P9Crs64y6gE9Bl4MLir6Z6aSfEH00DhZ3qP2nUEVJNTVFQDlizm8ST5yocuF6zOGVmznetsR-clyMEgD6oUqwWtT814vbTsBY1gZOzXS0cTdI2SZNb_ZJ21ManUX3aPUQ88sLBA1Io_pNuE_0YQ4w   and the role of philanthropy and love.

In our lives on Newark-Granville Road we are moving forward, living AND trying to be safe, supportive and loving while slowing down.  Today's picture is the pause- I went to the office to pick up my pretty calendar- it was stuck in March.  I can't put the months away. I'm keeping the beauty with me and grateful for what we've had AND will have.

No comments: