Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2020

The Day After Thanksgiving 2020

 Good morning!  I wrote in my social media post yesterday "From our table to yours- enjoy the before, during and after" and posted a picture of our dining room table with glass pumpkins, cranberries, a fresh pumpkin and the Cinnamon Donut bundt cake I made as the 2nd dessert and promised to explain why it was "upside" down.  So here goes- capturing the real life on Newark-Granville Road and sharing. I'll mess up tense and grammar on this one for sure- oh well! Another blog topic the world's use of grammar- I before you seems to be accepted now as me first so this should be okay! 

Before: the prep- I love the eve eve days.  As much as I miss the traditions of Stoner Thanksgiving I embrace the opportunity to explore new when we celebrate Leithauser holidays.  I am so grateful for the family I married into and my relationship with my sister in law is very special.  I've said before and I'll say it again- being married to brothers provides a special perspective and bond.  This also turned into our first family dinner of five since Peter arrived home and what was on our menu but of course: salmon cakes, mac n cheese, broccoli,  stewed tomatoes.  I went to bed Wednesday having worked a full day, sending mail that I hope arrives- come on USPS- I need you excited and ready for the holiday weekend

During- a great day even scaled down, maybe because scaled down still filled us full as Thanksgiving can only do.  My phone died and that is just fine as it truly allowed me to be in the moment and soak in the delicious meal, family time and pause from all work.  My day started early and  I enjoyed my kitchen time creating my contributions included the cinnamon cake.  The cake was profiled during a training program and seemed like a good one for my family.  A key ingredient apple cider- one of Sally's favorites and I love cinnamon sugar donuts so- why not.  Somehow even alone in my kitchen I ended up distracted and forgot to flour the pan. I buttered it.  I buttered it so well- even using the pastry brush approach detailed in the recipe.  Maybe it was the Today show- I rarely watch and see it as a nice treat. Maybe it was the full list to do before 9:30 so I could join the unofficial turkey trot or maybe flouring still isn't a norm for me. Oh well. I discovered my mistake when I went to remove the cake and sure enough 1/4 of the cake remained in the pan. I paused and looked at it- thinking immediately "do I have time to remake this cake?" do I have the ingredients? then I realized I could try to use the "top" or "bottom" depending on how you view it and it worked!  A cake presentable and with enough sustenace to finish and slice.!  I thought the cake was fine- not a favorite but god enough on the taste scale.  Clare really liked it- a win!

So much more to share but not necessary- enough to say my cup runneth over with gratitude for the day that did include the family run/walk, the best bloody mary, outdoor catch-up, music, family, turkey, ham and lots of carbs, a beautiful and tasty veggie-fruit tray in honor of Jim Leithauser executed very well by Joe.  Sally is now 1 hour shy of completing night driving for her license requirement and navigates a drive through well.  Thanksgiving 2020- not what we planned but what we needed.

After:  Ahhh here I am alone in my kitchen watching the recorded Macy's Day parade.  When I heard there were going to be marching bands I though- how?  And there here they are- West Point's marching band playing "This is My Country"- beautiful.  Joe and I watched a movie on Tgiving Eve- the new Midway move- we saw an earlier version when we stayed on the USS Yorktown.  We are certainly aware our after in so many is only because of the ultimate sacrifice of so many and the every day sacrifices of so many.  

Now I'm watching the Hamilton performance and heeding the message: "look around, look around, history is happening".  I appreciated this piece so much I rewound am watched it again- stellar- showcasing so much creativity, staying power, adaptability, talent and lessons of yesterday for today.

If you like the arts and who doesn't?  If you want to see ethic diversity on the screen? You should watch this parade- I'm loving this- watching now: the Zeta Phi Beta Centennial Steppers- wow!  Impressed with the representatives from many different parades from the area- Coney Island's Mermaid Parade- darling!  Time to wrap this up, enjoy more of the parade and find that commercial/short be beloved Denisonian- Steve Carrel with a great message that here on Newark-Granville Road we have before, during and after!  Enjoy:  https://943cksy.com/blogs/mornings/2020/11/the-greatest-gift-short-film/

Okay- I kid you not- after finding and watching this film on my phone just as I'm wrapping up this post- at 1:22:09 in my recorded parade- this film!  Love it- well done Xfinity/Comcast!!  Off to embrace our togetherness in Life on Newark-Granville Road- by phone, zoom and in person!

Post picture referenced above:



No comments: