Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Update for Thanksgiving Week 2020- Look Local!

My Sunday post felt a bit negative. I was feeling negative, however, I aim to maintain a positive but realistic tone.  On Monday things felt better and I want to share the direction I took to move to that place. 

I looked local.

This feels a bit like- "look for the helpers" when you see an accident or tragedy on the news. My local started by buying fresh produce for Thanksgiving.  I did some of this on Saturday at the Farmers Market.  Bryn Bird did a great job promoting products for the holiday on Facebook so I bought more: Birds Haven Farm OnLine Ordering!  You can too!  Thanks for the challenge to bake with real pumpkin.  I'm saving this for a weekend activity- excited to pick up later today!

Joe and I are making our list for Christmas Giving and thanks to the kids we've started a bit! Again- focus on the local.  The world needs help, and we support international care through our church and Rotary. As we think about gifts for family and friends, we also think about our philanthropic pledges and direction.  Year-end will be here soon and now is the time. It feels good to give. Included in this giving is renewing memberships- The Works: https://attheworks.org/and Dawes will appreciate our support and yours! (Once a fundraiser always a fundraiser).

You will also be happy to know Joe was able to work with Ferguson Customer Service- the replacement fridge is coming next Tuesday! Woo hoo- we're making do with the fridge that keeps things okay, a cooler with ice on the porch, and strategic meal planning.  Oyster stew supplies will be procured the day of if it works in the COVID rotation.  I've come to terms with the differences we need to accept this year.

And speaking of...Turkey Trot- We registered to support our local food pantry, you can too- if you did already- thank you! https://www.granvilleturkeytrot.com/give-thanks-today-registration  A virtual event for 2020- no surprise. Granville Leithausers will do our own walk/run event- looping from our home- so if you are out on NG road and see us- give a honk or bell ring or hello! I'm excited to cook, bake, and embrace family holiday time in my life on Newark-Granville road. I hope you are keeping it real, sharing as needed (reach out!), and finding ways to stay positive during these challenging times.  Stay well, get care when needed, and a special thank you to all the health care, first responders, front line workers keeping us safe and dealing with the increased stress during the pandemic.  The Look Up Center will be delivering more meals than ever-  Life on Newark-Granville Road- Grateful for all of that goodwill!

No comments: