Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

the arts and sciences and getting to know "why"…..

I'm a why girl.  I do like the YMCA but I also like to know "why" things happen, work, are selected….I like to know the "why" about myself.  I also like to see connections.  I'm a connector- nothing makes me happier than introducing folks that can help, support and enjoy one another- at work or at home.

Our visit to Monticello on our drive back from the beach was inspiring and insightful! Here are a few reasons "why":

- A beautiful mountain top.  I love the Appalachian mountains- I knew of Thomas Jefferson's home and the beautiful architecture applied but I didn't understand the full setting. Jefferson chose the location as he grew up playing, exploring and appreciating it.  His home was on the other hill you can see from his forever home.  It is a breathtakingly location with gorgeous views.

-Filled with all sorts of fascinating things Jefferson did, used, designed, applied!  Beds in the alcoves, the lay-out of furniture for practically, his record keeping and use of science, the gardens!!

-Intentional- and smart- the walkways, the porches,the windows and light, the staircase, the art work

-understanding the man and leader. His wonderful contributions to our country- we have much to be grateful.  I personally appreciate the way he apples the liberal arts philosophy- art and science were combined so beautifully to achieve such greatness and impact! His value of education, reading and books!  What wasn't to love!  Here is one of the many many quotes I connect to:

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing. Thomas Jefferson


-I've always loved UVA- the historic layout and purpose- what a gift from Thomas Jefferson!

http://www.monticello.org  Make your plans to visit now- or have a virtual visit- lots to learn by reading the website!  the house is great and a beautiful walk up and down!! The exhibits and store have their own delights!  Life on Newark-Granville Road is inspired from our trip to Monticello!!




No comments: