Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2013

cheering myself up on a Sunday night....

I haven't had to do this in a long time...cheer myself up...find ways to get out of that melancholy place. This is the 2nd Sunday in a row I've been in this place and it takes me back to the Sundays when Joe and I were dating. We had a long distance relationship and Sundays were always filled with ups and downs- we'd only have Friday evening, Saturday and most of Sundays together so we'd focus on positive and time together, often using Sunday to plan future weekend gatherings.  But then we'd eventually have to depart to our work cities and say farewell to each other- and I'd get sad.  Often work and life could help distract the emptiness during the work week, plus email and phone calls would connect us.  Last Sunday I said goodbye to Clare for 3 weeks and it was difficult...today it was Peter only for a few days- he's at basketball camp at Wooster.  My head knows they're fine and this is good for them and probably me too- however my heart aches.

So after getting home and getting the cry out, getting Joe's feel better hug I went to work.  Tidying up, going through piles and putting things away made me happier.  Reading with Sally and talking with her lifted my spirits.  And I admit it- blogging is something I enjoy too- thinking about subjects matters- so here are a few highlights that made me happy...
-I swear the universe knew I was sad- I received two texts from friends that perked me right up- thank you friends- the check in was perfectly timed- can't wait to find time to connect!  Reaching out to say hello means so much. Lucky me had lots of this this weekend!
-Birthday fun- put away- scratch- found perfect places for my birthday gifts- love love the wonderful ways I was remembered and people thought of me.  Some fun cards and notes....the gift from my parents that I received last weekend- I moved things around in the corner cupboard and placed my gorgeous oyster plates. When unpacking the wrapping I smiled to enjoy the box- an old boot box that my children had decorated years ago at nana and pap's house.  They packed the plates in the "Hagerstown Sun"- the local newspaper from my hometown...I immediately went to read my horoscope- no luck...but I did find a sudoku to mail to Clare...no doubt the horoscope is with the crossword that my Dad kept....all these things filled my head with happy thoughts.

I'm still missing the kids but I'm not as blue....and having some tidying done and some tidying to look forward to as we have a simpler week with 2 or 3 children away...keeps my life on Newark-Granville Road a bit brighter.  Photo below of beloved gift from beloved parents....

1 comment:

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I understand these feelings...you want to encourage them to fly but ...when they do it leaves a bit empty. Be busy...listen to the birds outside the windows singing... walk with Griffin and by all means share a little more time with Miss Sally. Hopefully the sunshine will return and the gardens will reveal their bounty. God bless and keep you sweet friend. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart