Search This Blog

Friday, November 8, 2013

I hope you don't cross the street when you see me.....

I'm a person who isn't afraid to ask for money....I know you know this...many of you recently had me encourage you to learn more about the needs at our church and the importance of pledging....and of course I'm always asking for The Works...and if you are a classmate at Denison..I'm always asking around reunion time...so I hope when you see me you don't cross to the other side of the street.  I try not to ask that often. I try to let you know why I'm asking....

First- our government gives us incentive to give! Tax deductions!  Our government believes we're good people that support good organizations that help, improve people and communities.  I truly believe people are going to give somewhere because they care and the bonus is the benefit....and if you don't know about these good organizations, or are  not asked....you might over look (blank)- insert The Works, your church, your school, etc....

Second- my Dad taught me- like what is happening and want to stay in touch with a non-profit- get invited to the fun events, receive the newsletter, help a child experience it?  Then make a gift to support them. Stay on their mailing list.  And if you really like the place- volunteer, talk to the folks about how you can help with your time too.  By the way- my mother taught this to me as well- both parents walk their talk and lead by example.  So when you ask me- how do I do what I do- now you know- I inherited the ability. 

Third- I know that money really does make the world go around.  We're working on The Works budget and I know where the money goes and how much it takes.  A lot!  Church is in the same situation- in fact working @ The Works- amazing old buildings in downtown Newark- take a lot of upkeep.  Being here for this community, coordinating, delivering programing, keeping it really CLEAN and healthy- takes money. The same for FPC and all those non profits you care about and watch closely....money.  And every dollar adds up and matters.  THANK You to all those that support the amazing organizations in our communities- the food pantry, your own church, local museums, the united way, the local foundation, the band, the orchestra......

I also believe in the rising tide of philanthropy- we all lift one another up- when The Midland succeeds, so does The Works- love good things happening in downtown Newark- and lots of good things are happening!!  Licking County is an amazing place with lots of places that need your support.  Giving feels good and when we feel good it is contagious and makes our community and my life on Newark-Granville Road all the better!!  I hope you'll return the favor and tell me about the things you are supporting with your financial dollars!

No comments: