Search This Blog

Sunday, January 5, 2014

four steps forward, three steps back, five steps forward, three back- side step-shuffle ball change…..

Those that know me well know that my mantra for years has been "sit loosely in the saddle of life" Robert Louis Stevenson….lately my other go to and maybe my 2014 mantra will be:

Growth is an erratic forward movement: two steps forward, one step back. Remember that and be very gentle with yourself.  Julia Cameron
I've been using it a fair amount.  My ah-ha moment was hearing Sean Swarner- the two time cancer survivor- an amazing hero- talk about climbing the world's highest peaks- how mother nature makes you do this- go up and down in waves to prepare to ascend, and when you get back to camp she has moved your gear as you're on a glacier that moves. Natures way.  (by the way I need to read his book: 
Keep Climbing: How I Beat Cancer and Reached the Top of the World Paperback by Sean Swarner
I'm inspired to share this quote as I just received the call about no school tomorrow.  Really?  Mother Nature- how could you do this? They've been off of school for months…okay weeks but it feels like over a month. We've had enough snow days already- I've done the juggling and the plate spinning.  I have work to do….important work.  But yes as I type this I know I have work to do as their mother.  I heard the sermon today- a window has been opened by mother nature or God or both and I will embrace it.  Sally turns 9 tomorrow. We're celebrating tonight as Joe has an early flight scheduled. We have/had a full night tomorrow…we'll see what gets cancelled, what goes on….I will do some work, I have to, but I will take the side step and shuffle (it isn't going backwards to be with the kids) and I will embrace this crazy snowy cold life on Newark-Granville Road.  

No comments: